• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of zakynthos? (1 Viewer)

dubs1967

HI thinking of going to zakynthos in may.I believe its good for migration,anyone been or got any information.cheers dubs.

It's OK-ish, or at least it was when I was there a few years ago (2000 I think) didn't get a huge number of species or incredible numbers of migrants (certainly nowhere near as good as Lesbos or Majorca in previous years. The peninsula in the extreme southeast was best for migrant passerines and Alikes salt pans (disused), in the Northern area the best for waders. Did get a few good birds, Temminck's Stint, Broad-billed Sandpiper, Squacco H, Glossy Ibis (which some nice brave hunter had shot!) etc but birding wasn't easy. Mind you, the exceptionally hot weather for first 2 weeks in May, over 90ºC most days, didn't help.
Dont know if the salt pans are still there, there was talk of building on them, also there was a lot of disturbance in the area so very early morning visits were necessary. On the whole it is good for a family holiday with a bit of birding (if you stay in Alikes) but if you want lots of birds/migrants go to Lesbos it is in a different league, all IMHO of course.

Nick

Hi nick thanks for the the info!Its ironic you mention alikes thats where the hotel is.I dont think we are going now because i read that the mozzes are mental in that area and the mrs is allergic to the blighters!puerto pollensa it is then.If the boquer is still accesible that is.Cheers dubs.

Hi Dubs,

wouldn't let the mozzies worry you overmuch, I only got bitten twice -the wife got bitten 6 times :) and there will be a few mozzies about anywhere in the med! Take plenty of repellent with you to Majorca, especially if you visit Albufera (which you will).
Have a good trip.

Nick

Just been to Zakynthos (usually known as Zante in the UK travel industry). Stayed around Tsilivi and didn't see much at all; although we didn't have a car to get to anywhere remote, the sheer lack of species numbers in the scrubby areas around town wasn't encouraging. Took a trip on the local bus to Alikes and found a few common waders, Grey Heron and Little Egret plus an immature Night Heron, on the small salt pan at the north end of town.

When I got bored of lying on a sunbed and reading I explored the local farm tracks but only got things like Serin, Little Owl and Icterine Warbler.

Nice enough island for scenery, food and drink and friendly local people but I don't think it'll ever be a major birding attraction.

I went to Zante and had a good birding experience. Around my hotel there were Red-Footed Falcons , Yellow-Legged Gulls , Serins , Bee-Eaters (you hear the call alot) and a lot of Swallows (mainly barn but a few red-rumped) and House Martins. When I went to the Shipwreck I spotted an Alpine Swift. At the 'Blue Caves' there are Sardinian Warblers and Eleonoras Falcons , I even seen them hunting! But perhaps one of my fave birds of the island was the Scops Owls outside our hotel! They have a radar like call (people though it was a submarine) but while I was outside the hotel I saw it a few times. And there was a river with Little-Ringed Ploves , Kentish Plovers and Little Egrets. :)

We stayed at the Sea View Hotel in Alykes for a week from 4 May 2017. This was a good relaxing holiday, and we took the opportunity to do some birding in the area, with a total of 50 species. We hired bicycles on a couple of days and walked along the coast and inland for the rest of the week.

Only two of the disused Alykes salt pans held any water, and one of these had virtually dried out by the end of the week. Nevertheless, throughout the week we saw several Common Sandpipers, Wood Sandpipers and Little Stints, as well as up to 20 Yellow Wagtails and a dozen Little Ringed Plovers. There were a couple of Squacco Herons there one day and a Grey Heron for three days. A Caspian Tern and three Little Egrets were present on our first evening but not seen again. A Woodchat Shrike was present for the first three days, hunting from wires next to the salt pans, and we saw three others at different sites inland during the week. A Turtle Dove was also seen on wires next to the salt pans; we heard others one day, but these turned out to be captive in a small aviary.

Some species were present everywhere - House Sparrow, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Collared Dove, Serin, Great Tit, Barn Swallow and House Martin. Common Swifts, Red-rumped Swallows, Common Buzzards, Yellow-legged Gulls and Kestrels were also frequently seen, including from our balcony.

Other common species during our walks and cycling included Zitting Cisticola, Sardinian Warbler, Spotted Flycatcher and Olivaceous Warbler, as well as a few Crested Larks. There were numerous Penduline Tit nests in various locations, presumably from previous years as no birds were evident.

Five Cormorants were present one day on rocks near Alykanas harbour, as four European Bee-eaters chased insects around the trees above. The only other Bee-eater was perched on a wire further inland the following day. We heard Golden Orioles three or four times, but had only one fleeting glimpse.

There was also a fleeting glimpse of a Tawny Owl as it flew across the road in front of us with some unfortunate prey in its mouth. A Scops Owl was heard briefly twice near the apartment. Cetti’s Warblers and Reed Warblers were heard (but not seen) a few times further inland.

Other birds seen (but only once or twice) included Yellowhammer, Icterine Warbler, Sedge Warbler, Marsh Harrier, Cirl Bunting, Corn Bunting, Mallard (of dubious origin), Black-headed Bunting and Whinchat.

Dave & Andrea

Alykes

We stayed at the Sea View Hotel in Alykes for a week from 4 May 2017. This was a good relaxing holiday, and we took the opportunity to do some birding in the area, with a total of 50 species. We hired bicycles on a couple of days and walked along the coast and inland for the rest of the week.

Dave & Andrea

Thanks for your interesting report, staid at Alykes a few times but before birding, nice to read what it can offer bird wise.

We stayed on the west coast last year-its another world out there compared with the east coast-high cliffs,quiet trails and a fair few birds.
here's my report.

Keri,Zante

If you google ‘Zante Birds’ you will struggle to find many reports.Those you do read are not the most inspiring, and you may not even bother taking your binoculars.

That would be a mistake, especially if you stay in the Keri area, in the south west of Zante.

We stayed at the Keri Village Spa Hotel set high up in the hills between Agalas and Keri Village.We were there from 8/6/16 to 15/6/16

A smashing little all inclusive, adult only hotel where the staff couldn’t do enough for you.

Within minutes of walking from the hotel some of the most dramatic,unspoilt scenery in Zante and probably Greece, is on your doorstep.

The villa on the hill tracks.

If you are not staying at the hotel there is enough room to park just outside.

Walk up the hill towards the TV mast and carry on till you see a villa on a hill.

There were at least two Woodchat Shrike on either side of the track before the house.

The Olivaceous Warbler and Sardinian Warbler started in earnest as soon as you reach the crest of the steep climb.There were dozens around here,heard,rather than seen mostly.

Just before the house a steep track turns left off the main path.

As it drops down and turns right there is an obvious brown tilled field.

There were always a pair of Crested Lark in the field and a family of Stonechat in the maquis to the right.

There were marvellous cliffside views were we saw at least one Eleanora’s Falcon on every visit.

A pair of Kestrel were seen regularly as well as Swifts which looked very much like Pallid Swift but could have been Common Swift.

About 12 Yellow-legged Gull were generally around most days.

Walk back to the main track and take another short diversion along the track going towards the sea [just left off the main track by the villa entrance gate]

There was a Cirl Bunting here,another Stonechat,a Crested Lark and a pair of Common Buzzard.

An Eleanora’s Falcon was perched on a high rock just to the right on the last morning.

A Black -eared Wheatear was spotted one evening near the villa gates.

Return to the main track turn left and head for the tarmac road.

There was another Black - eared Wheatear in one of the olive groves to the right,tens of House Sparrow,a flock of Goldfinch, a few Greenfinch,Collared Dove,Great Tit,and several Blackbird.

Another Woodchat Shrike was perched on a dead tree to the left just past the villa gates.

There was a vast number of Barn Swallow and a few Red-rumped Swallow here as well.

When you reach the tarmac road turn left and head towards the cliffs.Stay on the road until it climbs and turns a sharpish right.

There is a track on your left just on the bend.It drops down then turns right.

You will see the cliffs to your right.Head to the edge and the views of the steep cliff,rocky island and deep blue sea is breathtaking.

This was a great place to see Eleanora’s Falcon.There was a pair here every day.

Ag.Konstantinou

Carrying on from the above walk,return to the tarmac road and turn left.The road splits to the right after a few yards,Stay left and carry on till the road becomes a rough track.

Look out for a few colourful beehives and head towards them keeping them to the left of the track.Make sure you don’t take the left track which splits off just by a small disused quarry.

Eventually the rough track meets a tarmac road.

Turn left and head towards the sea.

The road winds down to the cliff edge which is stunning. There are unspoilt views of steep cliffs and the uninhabited coastline as far as the eye can see.

Along The way,here were 3 Eleanora’s Falcon,a pair of Kestrel, two Crested lark,Yellow Legged Gull,a pair of Common Buzzard and several Olivaceous Warbler and Sardinian Warbler.

Another pair of Eleanora’s Falcon were perched on the rocky island just off the coast looking south.

The caravan track

Turn left out of the hotel and go down to the junction.

Turn left.Just along here there were three Spotted Flycatcher including a juvenile, on the wires.

There is a rough track just off the main road to your right.

This leads to a caravan which is as far as you need to go.

The rough steep path leads to the back of the Keri Beach area and there were numerous Olivaceous Warbler and Sardinian Warbler warbling and calling,along the way.

There were another two Woodchat Shrike,a pair of Common Buzzard,lots of Barn Swallow, and several Greenfinch.

Oddly, I heard the clear 'ooop oop oop' sound of a Hoopoe near the caravan but can find no records of this species in Zante.I went back to check the next day and heard it again!
So it was either a Hoopoe or someone winding me up with a good impersonation.

When you return to the main road you can turn right,take the next left and carry on till you meet the rough track which leads to the ‘villa on the hill’ track.This then leads back to the hotel.

Keri Beach

The hotel helpfully provided a free shuttle to this lovely little resort.

There is a ‘lake’ which is really a half dried out reed bed.

It takes around 45 minutes to do the circuit.

I heard a Reed Warbler and two Cetti Warbler on the way round.

Another visitor recorded Fan-tailed Warbler.

Other birds recorded:Barn Swallow,Mallard,Sardinian Warbler,Red-rumped Swallow,Goldfinch,Blackbird,Yellow legged Gull,Collared Dove,House Sparrow and Feral Pigeon.
There were lots of Terrapins,frogs,butterflies and dragonflies in the small creeks and streams.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back