• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

gordon ramsey eating rooks (1 Viewer)

My word you lot go on sometimes. how about some ground rules?

1. Is it going to go extinct? No - proceed, yes - stop

2. Are you going to eat it (or sell it for eating which is the same thing) No - stop, yes - proceed and enjoy.

Otherwise you might as well get into whether eating meat is all right, and if its OK for Orcas (who are smart enough to know better but play with their food) its all right for us, frankly.

John

Alan et al., just curious - what if it were, say, fledgling Starlings or House Sparrows? Would it be ok to eat them? It was legal until last year, and nestlings/fledglings of every kind were eaten in rural areas until about 100 years ago.

So I'll put it back to you, where do *you* draw the line about what wild food it would be acceptable to eat? Would it just be scarcity or legality? Would personal ethics come into any decision (eg like my randomly not liking the idea of eating something so young).

At the minute you'd be within your rights to take Collared Dove squabs, various gull or corvid chicks or eggs etc. After all, not much differenc ebetween a young rook and a young jay/magpie/carrion crow except tradition

It may not be a bird but I do enjoy a big lump of hot dead baa-lamb.

And Duckling a l'orange is a bird and a very tasty one.

Pass the pepper, please.

John

what if it were, say, fledgling Starlings or House Sparrows? Would it be ok to eat them?

Personally I would say good luck to them. I got served this by a family in Greece once, baked, everything left in place. Definitely goes down as one of the worst moments of my life

Another one for the duck in orange please.

Im a veggie, birder, ringer (what a shocking combo you might say!).

If the rooks were going to be shot anyway....and i get the impression from the gamekeeper that they were.....then eating them is a better option than not. I do object to him encouraging his kid and then saying that more birds should be "back on the menu" though.

What I found more disturbing was the use of veal. I understand folk want to eat veal and, although i personally find this a particularly inhumane meat, i suppose thats peoples choice. But to have those w*nker estate agents burning and ballsing up every plate of veal they touched knowing what the animals been through to get there was really awful.

I do love the f word and although gordon ramsay has become what he always stated he would not...a celebrity chef....he is still light years removed from ainsley harriet and anthony worral in terms of cooking and entertainment.

At least he understands the connection between where food comes from and the plate which sadly most folk do not !

At least he understands the connection between where food comes from and the plate which sadly most folk do not !

Agreed to a point, but I think that like Hugh F-W he's gotten a bit zealous with it, and is maybe doing stuff just because it's quirky before actually thinking about the ethics of it too much.

They may be making the connection between where food comes from and the plate, but are they necessarily making the connection between the fact that meat was once a life?

I eat meat like there's no tomorrow - from horses to woodcocks, and I'd give most things a try. But I think that eating meat carries an element of responsibility to the creatures that have died for it, and the fact that we are taking their lives. Compassion comes into it. I'm just not sure that shooting a branching 5-week old rook is at all compassionate. They deserve a shot at life first, especially seeing as they're wild and Ramsey's therefore robbing them of quite a pleasant one before they've even left the nest tree.

Alan et al., just curious - what if it were, say, fledgling Starlings or House Sparrows? Would it be ok to eat them? It was legal until last year, and nestlings/fledglings of every kind were eaten in rural areas until about 100 years ago.

So I'll put it back to you, where do *you* draw the line about what wild food it would be acceptable to eat? Would it just be scarcity or legality? Would personal ethics come into any decision (eg like my randomly not liking the idea of eating something so young).

At the minute you'd be within your rights to take Collared Dove squabs, various gull or corvid chicks or eggs etc. After all, not much differenc ebetween a young rook and a young jay/magpie/carrion crow except tradition

Personally I'm not into eating young birds, but I'm not about to criticise others for doing it. As I said above, I've never had rook, but that's not to say I would throw a wobbly if someone was to serve it up in front of me. I don't have a problem with eating game either, I love it.

I don't know that age comes into it. I've rarely refused a nice bit of lamb.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back