• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fed up with punctures (1 Viewer)

ColinD

United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm not sure if a bicycle counts as Miscellaneous Nature Study Equipment, but it certainly gets me to and from a large percentage of my nature study, so here goes!

I have a Carrera Subway which I bought from Halfords last summer. It’s a nice, light weight bike which I really enjoy riding, described as ideal for road and track. However I am plagued by punctures. I average one puncture every 3 times I go out on the bike (each bike ride is about 15 miles, so one puncture every 45 miles). It’s getting so bad that I am seriously considering selling the bike and taking some other form of exercise, which would be a shame because I love my bike rides.

I usually do the same 15 miles every time I go out. The journey is about 60% normal roads, 40% farm tracks. The Carrera has Kevlar tyres which is supposed to minimise the risk of punctures. I have also use a product call slime. Not the stuff you put in the inner tube, it’s made by the same people, but is like a plastic band which goes between the inner tube and the tyre. I’ve also wrapped two or three layers of electrical tape around the wheel, just in case the punctures are coming from a sharp object on the wheel itself, such as a spoke sticking through. Nothing works. I still keep getting punctures.

Anybody got any suggestions on how I can improve the situation, because I am almost at the stage of dumping the bike and going back to the car. I know that punctures are part of bike riding, but this is ridiculous. I can’t believe that in this day and age, we are still riding on thin bits of rubber filled with air. Surely there must be some product which has the same same properties, but which doesn’t rely on air. If not, why not?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Hi Bobby

Had similar problems a few years ago. You seem to have done everything I did to help prevent. Only areas I can think of:
(1) Is there any chaffing caused by the layers of tape?
(2) Is the original cause of the first puncture still in the tyre? Have you felt the inside of tyre?
(3) Is it the same tyre?
(4) What does the puncture site look like? Is it clean or chaffed?
(5) Has the tube been pinched when replacing?
(6) Is the valve faulty i.e. leaking?
Good luck and happy cycling

Hi Bobby,
are you keeping your tyre pressures high enough?

You know this is a good point. Maybe I'm not. I don't actually have a pump which shows me the pressure, so it's really just guess work on my part. Yesterday I felt the back tyre before I started out, and it did seem to be not quite as hard as the front tyre. However I didn't top it up, and ended up with another puncture.

The recommended tyre pressure on the Carrera is quite high, so maybe I'm just not getting it high enough with the pump I have.

If it's not a stupid question, why would a lowish tyre pressure cause punctures?

Hi Bobby

Had similar problems a few years ago. You seem to have done everything I did to help prevent. Only areas I can think of:
(2) Is the original cause of the first puncture still in the tyre? Have you felt the inside of tyre?
(3) Is it the same tyre?

Point 5 is an interesting one. These Kevlar tyres are nigh on impossible to get on (which is one reason why it's such a pain getting a puncture). I have wondered if I am causing the problem when change the inner tube.

I do check the tyre before I replace the inner tube, and I never repair the inner tube, I always buy a new one.

Thanks

You know this is a good point. Maybe I'm not. I don't actually have a pump which shows me the pressure, so it's really just guess work on my part. Yesterday I felt the back tyre before I started out, and it did seem to be not quite as hard as the front tyre. However I didn't top it up, and ended up with another puncture.

The recommended tyre pressure on the Carrera is quite high, so maybe I'm just not getting it high enough with the pump I have.

If it's not a stupid question, why would a lowish tyre pressure cause punctures?

I think if the tyre pressures are too low you can suffer from "pinch flats" where going over an obstacle pinches the inner tube. You would also have a greater surface area in contact with the ground which may have an effect.

I tend to pump up the tyres until I can barely squeeze them with thumb and forefinger. Not very scientific but seems to work for me!

Des.

Hi Bobby

(3) Is it the same tyre?

Point 2 is worth checking for. I had terrible problems with this a few month ago - rode over some glass and a couple of shards got embedded in the tyre - I went through 7 punctures and 2 inner tubes before working out what was wrong. Are the punctures in the same place each time, or are they on different parts of the tube?

There's also some kind of foam/spray (which my girlfriend's parents keep recommending to me) that you put inside (?) your tyres which is supposed to auto-repair punctures. I don't know if that's the same as your "slime", or indeed if it works at all!

Hi,
I'm not sure if a bicycle counts as Miscellaneous Nature Study Equipment, but it certainly gets me to and from a large percentage of my nature study, so here goes!

I have a Carrera Subway which I bought from Halfords last summer. It’s a nice, light weight bike which I really enjoy riding, described as ideal for road and track. However I am plagued by punctures. I average one puncture every 3 times I go out on the bike (each bike ride is about 15 miles, so one puncture every 45 miles). It’s getting so bad that I am seriously considering selling the bike and taking some other form of exercise, which would be a shame because I love my bike rides.

I usually do the same 15 miles every time I go out. The journey is about 60% normal roads, 40% farm tracks. The Carrera has Kevlar tyres which is supposed to minimise the risk of punctures. I have also use a product call slime. Not the stuff you put in the inner tube, it’s made by the same people, but is like a plastic band which goes between the inner tube and the tyre. I’ve also wrapped two or three layers of electrical tape around the wheel, just in case the punctures are coming from a sharp object on the wheel itself, such as a spoke sticking through. Nothing works. I still keep getting punctures.

Anybody got any suggestions on how I can improve the situation, because I am almost at the stage of dumping the bike and going back to the car. I know that punctures are part of bike riding, but this is ridiculous. I can’t believe that in this day and age, we are still riding on thin bits of rubber filled with air. Surely there must be some product which has the same same properties, but which doesn’t rely on air. If not, why not?

Any help greatly appreciated.

what sort of punctures are you getting? are they snake bites?cause it does not sound like you are finding the Culprit .you can also buy slimey innertubes as well stops puncture up to 1/8 inch.i would try keeping the tyre pressure high.done 2000miles on my bike mostly off road and have not had one ...yet

Also consider the size of the tire you are using. I looks like the tires are wide enough for riding on non-paved roads based upon the few photos I've been able to find of the bike. But maybe a slightly heavier tire is needed for the paved and dirt roads you travel.

Tire pressure is very important and low tire pressure can lead to pinch flats as previously noted. A good floor pump with a pressure gauge should be used to check tire pressure every time you use the bike.

What type of punctures have you had? Are they pinch flats (1/8 to 1/4 inch slits in the tube near the wheel rim)? Or are they punctures from nails, glass, etc.? Interior punctures from the spoke ends (important to use a rim strip or tape to prevent these)?

A good set of tire irons will help you to install the tires on the rims with risk of damaging the tube and will also ensure the tube is not caught between the rim and the tire bead. Another cause of pinch flats or blow-outs.

I've ridden many miles both on thin road tires and thicker mountain bike tires with out many flats. So I think modern bikes and tires/tubes/wheels are pretty reliable. Something must be wrong with the wheel rim or another component of the wheel-tube-tire system. Hope this helps. Good luck.

what sort of punctures are you getting? are they snake bites?cause it does not sound like you are finding the Culprit .you can also buy slimey innertubes as well stops puncture up to 1/8 inch.i would try keeping the tyre pressure high.done 2000miles on my bike mostly off road and have not had one ...yet

I'm not really sure what type of punctures I'm getting. I've not checked as much as I should have. I have seen punctures which look like the have been "pinched" which as Des said may indicate low tyre pressure, but I'm not sure that they're all like that.

I've seen the slimey innertubes. Presumably they only work for a limited number of punctures?

....What type of punctures have you had? Are they pinch flats (1/8 to 1/4 inch slits in the tube near the wheel rim)? Or are they punctures from nails, glass, etc.? Interior punctures from the spoke ends (important to use a rim strip or tape to prevent these)?....

I should have said earlier, the punctures are (apparently) never glass or nails. Occasionally in the past I have had hawthornes, but these don't happen with the new tyres and the slime.

Tyre pressure seems favourite to me at the moment.

The more I think about this, the more convinced I am that it may well be tyre pressure which is the problem. The punctures have happened at odd places. A couple of times they have occured right at the end of my ride, within 100 yards of my home. There is a short stretch of cobbled street which I go down. Twice I have had a puncture just as I pull up at home. Maybe the cobbles have caused the "pinch flat" in the low pressure tyre.

Yesterday, I was going along fine, until I came to a stretch of track which is quite muddy, but has had some cobble type rocks sunken into it to try to "improve" it. It was immediately after negotiating this that I got the puncture. And the puncture was in the back tyre, which had felt a bit lower than the front before I started.

Thanks a lot for all of the help. I don't mind admitting that I was so fed up yesterday that I was on the verge of packing in riding, which would be a shame because I really enjoy it.

Time to get a decent pump!

Let us know how you get on.

Mine has been gathering dust in the shed for a while so I must make a point of getting out on it more.

Hi Bobby, I guess you have changed the inner tubes out at some point?.

I ask because I had a pair of duds on a new bike once which seemed to spontaneously 'puncture' without any obvious reason. I must have patched them a dozen times in a frustrating week before changing them for totally new ones which solved the problem. I imagine they had weak spots from bad manufacturing which blew out.

Bobby, I reckon tyre pressure is your problem. Also, I haven´t seen Kevlar tyres for 15 years, don´t know where you got them! They were state-of-the-art at one time, though. You probably need a standing workshop-type floor-pump to get right up to the recommended pressure (they´re also much easier to use than hand-pumps). Cycling on tyres that have too-low pressure is also far more wearing on the cyclist - too much traction/drag. You can´t give up cycling, that simply wouldn´t be on!;) I average 120 miles a week, and haven´t had a puncture for about two years. So if you´re getting one every 45 miles, either there´s a lot of glass out your way, or there´s a problem with your tyres/tubes/inner wheel rims. Don´t shy away from spending top prices on tubes and tyres, because crap ones are really crap, and good ones are really good. There are a lot of products out there that claim to be puncture-free, but I´ve never used any. I hope this gets sorted because it sounds like something quite simple and specific, and it shouldn´t put you off cycling. (P.S. - Bicycles are Crucial Nature Study Equipment!)

Last edited:
Good point Phil. Selecting a better quality or even a heavy-duty type tube may help. I've had the same problems on occasion with inferior quality no-name tubes and tires.

I do use my bike for birding as well. I have a single-speed mountain bike with 26x2.0 tires. My tires have a low-profile tread in the center and knobs on the outside so they are a nice balance for on-road and off-road use. My travels are typically less than 10 miles round trip but I've never flatted on this bike. Maybe your tires are not well suited to the terrain you are traveling.

But certainly try getting a floor pump with a pressure gauge attached and follow the inflation pressure recommendations on the side of the tire. Inflate towards the high side of the listed pressure range if you are carrying a heavier load of gear, etc.

Agreed Sancho...high quality name-brand tires and tubes will provide much better service than no-name stuff. I personally prefer Continental tires for my road bikes and Conti, Michelin, Panaracer, and Ritchey for my mountain bikes.

Thanks for all of the replies to this thread. I'm almost overwhelmed, I didn't think I'd get many :t:

Tonight I bought myself a floor pump with a pressure gauge as recommended and a new innertube. I bought the slime innertube, so now I've got slime on the inside, slime on the outside and Kevlar tyres. Should be bullet proof! The Kevlar tyres came with the bike, by the way, I didn't specifically ask for them.

When I took the old innertube off, I checked for the puncture and sure enough, it had what looked like a pale stretch mark on the innertube, in the middle of which was the puncture.

After fitting the new innertube and tyre, I pumped it up as much as I could with the hand pump, and then used the foot pump to get it to the required pressure. Wow :eek!: . I think I can be confident that the problem is tyre pressure. With the hand pump I couldn't even get it half way to the required pressure. With the foot pump my main concern was the tyre exploding it was so pressurised. Now pinching the tyres is like pinching a piece of wood. It's never been like that before.

So I'll see how it goes. I can't tell you how relieved I am. Birding in 2008 without my bike would have been unthinkable, yet that was what I was contemplating last night.

Thanks again to everybody. B :)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back