• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone use a Walkstool? (1 Viewer)

bitterntwisted

Graham Howard Shortt
I've latterly tried to buy something once which lasts instead of buying cheap stuff that needs constant replacement. These Walkstools seem to be proper good, but are they worth the money? (from £25 up to £60)... http://www.walkstool.com/uk/product/indexframe.html

Simon King seems to like them... http://www.lcegroup.com/sk/Simon-King-Review-of-Walkstool-Comfort-55-72.htm

But are they really worth the premium on a reasonable brand like Coleman... http://www.simplyhike.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?StockID=50001

Or should I just take my chances on another £5 job... http://www.johnlewis.com/230229206/Product.aspx?source=22567

The more compact and portable it is the more use I'll get - I do like a nice sit down, you see. note the walkstools are heavier (650g - 850g) than the Coleman (500g)

Graham

Just looking at the spec on the walkstool...I'd give the basic model a bodyswerve, made in China so bound to be sweat shop labour and that's why aimed at mass market...bigger profits.
Looking at the videos...the walkstools the cars are placed on are all comfort models not basic ones.

As Keith has kindly not pointed out, sturdiness is a consideration for me, being 6' 5" and less svelte than I once was. I do weigh less than a family car, though.

Graham

Graham, I'm tempted by these, and for me the comfort models are the ones I'd go for. I think I've found the first item on Santa's list for this year.

And I'm choosing the comfort models on ethical grounds....not 'cos I'm a fat sod.

My wife needs to sit down fairly regularly (MS) and we bought a couple of cheapos the same as in the JL link from our local camping shop about three years ago. I thought if they lasted a year they would be OK for £3.99 each and we are still using the same ones. They weigh next to nothing.

They're not the most comfortable things to sit on for any length of time but perfectly adequate for ten minutes or so, probably with a little more height they would be more comfortable for longer and the more expensive ones I've seen advertised do have adjustable or longer length legs.

Graham,

I have the Walkstool comfort 45 L, the smallest of the pack. It's great. It fits in a small backpack because it's so short. Like Simon King points out, it's got two sitting positions, legs extended and legs left unextended. I use the extended position for sitting down on a seawatch or any other prolonged use of my scope; very comfortable and steady.
I find the unextended sitting position particularly useful when I want to keep my bins steady for prolonged viewing, as I can easily rest my elbows on my knees in a squatting position.
The walkstool is very strong and shows no sign of wearing of the fabric or the legs, after nearly 3 years of frequent use in the field.
I used to buy cheap stools that wouldn't last for more than 6 months, and I had to replace them because the fabric was tearing.
The Walkstool is not cheap, but you can't get anything better IMHO. I take it along on all my walks and enjoy it thoroughly each time ( bad back ).

I also bought the Comfort 65 XL model, but it doesn't get much use; it's bigger and not noticeably more comfortable than the 45 L. It has the advantage though of a slightly higher sitting position without extended legs, for tall people like me ( 6'4" ) a bit easier in the squatting position.

Best regards,

Ronald

Thanks for the input, Korhaan. How long are the 45 and 65 respectively when folded? I was considering the 55 as the right compromise, but want to be sure it packs small enough - would be good if it fitted in my Cley Spy mule scope carrier.

I have a Comfort 45 too and really like it, I mainly use it in a hide and find it good even for long periods of use. It folds down very small, is very well made and easily holds me (which isn't too easy)!

I'm 6'2" and have the 65 XXL comfort. I'd have preferred the 75 XXL for the extra height but went for the smaller one when I came across it on Ebay for a snip.

Considering your height you may be better off with the 65 or 75 for comfort. The 65 is okay for me but the 75 would have been better.

They're pretty light weight and compact and come in cloth a bag with a sling cord. I either use the cord else fasten it to my camera bag.

The seat is roomy even for me and quite comfortable even for long periods.

I have the Comfort 55 and it is excellent. Very comfortable and light. Its about 14" collapsed, don't have a tape measure with me.

Phil

Graham,

Saw you found the folded dimensions. Good.

If the 55 is too big for your scopac carrier consider two pieces of velcro to wrap the walkstool around one of the tripod legs. That should work.

Regards,

Ronald

Outdoor photography reviewed portable seats in last months issue. The walkstool scored pretty well, but they noticed that the stool is less comfortable for men, as one of leg supports is wedged between yours. I wont elaborate further. The chair they rated the highest (100% for comfort) was the crazy creek hexalite longback chair.

If you are looking at stools only then you may want to consider the Haglofs products too. I can't see them on the site, but they have a good reputation for stools especially on more uneven ground.

Outdoor photography reviewed portable seats in last months issue. The walkstool scored pretty well, but they noticed that the stool is less comfortable for men, as one of leg supports is wedged between yours. I wont elaborate further. The chair they rated the highest (100% for comfort) was the crazy creek hexalite longback chair.

If you are looking at stools only then you may want to consider the Haglofs products too. I can't see them on the site, but they have a good reputation for stools especially on more uneven ground.

They wouldn't be much good in a dome hide though Marcus. ;)

My dad's got some good ones that he picked up at the Birdfair. They have telescopic legs like the Walkstool but I'm not sure if they are them. I'll try and find out what exactly they are.

As far as the whole height issue thing. I'm 6'2'' and sat on the John Lewis one for a good few hours yday non-stop. No complaints.

Regards.
Adam

They wouldn't be much good in a dome hide though Marcus. ;)

My dad's got some good ones that he picked up at the Birdfair. They have telescopic legs like the Walkstool but I'm not sure if they are them. I'll try and find out what exactly they are.

As far as the whole height issue thing. I'm 6'2'' and sat on the John Lewis one for a good few hours yday non-stop. No complaints.

Regards.
Adam

Not much between your legs I guess ;)

Oh there's plenty between my legs, just not much between my ears! Probably explains why I do most of my thinking between my legs too. :-O

Last edited:
Actually the crazy creek hexalite longback chair may come in handy in a hide I frequent that has no shelves. The hide is hexagonal with a half-hexagonal bench in the front. So if I put the chair on the left or right side of the bench, I'm able to look out straight and sit comfortable with back support and legs stretched on the bench!
Most of the time I'm by myself in the hide, the only visitors I ever see are weekend walkers who stay for just a few minutes, then leave. Probably because there's nothing to look at on the lake, or it is far away. The prolonged stay may be rewarding, though, I've seen some good birds like Goshawk, Red Kite, Osprey, Bittern, Caspian Tern, Bearded Tits, Great Grey Shrike and Water Rail. The lack of shelves to rest your elbows on gives you back pain after half an hour, so this chair might be just what I need.

Thanks for the link!

Regards,

Ronald

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back