• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good to be back! (1 Viewer)

Fat Rat

Hi All

I have not been into the forum for a couple of months due to work and holidays but I have still been watching the birds.

We went to Austria in January and despite the cold and snow there was a good few birds still around although they usually stayed hidden in the bushes, we went to a place called Mondsee (The place where the Sound of music church is), just up the road from there is a public park and a huge lake that had frozen over but in a great many of the trees people had hung suet balls and a good few sparrows and tits were most greatful, I have been there about 4 times but had never really noticed just how many people helped feed the birds.
On the way down to Austria (we went by coach) we found out that one of the best places to see Buzzards was along the German Autobahn, there seemed to be 1 or 2 roosting in trees every mile or so.

Yesterday we went for a day out to Windermere and saw a good few waterfowl around the lake, my Daughter and I had a good laugh watching a Tufted Duck diving for food from the bottom, every time I pointed the camera at it, it dived, it must have taken about 6 attempts to catch it. On the way back along the A69 a large amount of feathers suddenly fell from the sky in front of the car, as we looked up to see what it was we saw a large Buzzard just overhead with something in its tallons, it looked like a female pheasant but we didn't get a really good look.

Things are now getting better on the garden feeders, just about all my food is going into the birds now and not the bin. I have got about 3 of 4 Goldfinches visiting daily, they seem to like the sunflower hearts as well as the niger seed, I seem to have a good few starlings visit as well now, they finish everything off on the bird table, I think I am up to about 10 different species visiting now, not many by some standards but I am happy enough. I seem to get mostly bigger birds like Collared Dove, Blackbirds, Thrush and Starlings but the Blue Tits are back in and out of the bird box so hopefully more chicks again this year.

Take care

Hi David and welcome back.
I've seen buzzards on the M40 on the way to Birmingham. There was some evidence that a sparrowhawk had been hunting over the playground at school last week, but it hasn't been back since.
Lovely to have you back.
best wishes
Rose.

Hi David,
Welcome back,sounds like you did a similar trip to us we stayed in Salzburg and we too went to visit the Sound of Music church a beautiful area isn't it?
It was on an Austrian mountain walk that whilst resting my legs up a tree a Treecreeper "crept" down on me and nearly walked onto my legs!!! lol!! :-O I don't know who was more suprised!!
Glad to have you back with us,
Best wishes,

Hi David

Welcome back, I wondered where you'd got to.

Glad to hear you're getting goldfinches, I still only rarely get a lone goldie on the sunflower hearts.

10 species is good going.

All the best

andy

Hi Fat Rat

Glad to see you back and it's great to hear that you had a lovely holiday in Austria. It is a very beautiful place. I've never been but my granny use to go and show me all her photos. Maybe I'll manage to go one day. Did you have any of those lovely cream cakes while you where there? o:D

Liebchen

Hi David, sorry to be all behind....
just a couple of days before your post I'd been wondering where you'd got to.
Sounds as though you've been busy :bounce:
Welcome back!

Hi Fat Rat!!

Welcome back to the fold, you've been missed, but it's good to hear that you've at least been enjoying yourself - in spite of work as well! Those are some very beautiful sights that you've seen, all very wonderful to hear about. Good to see you here again, keep coming back!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back