• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is the 500/4 IS L USM going to make me happy? (1 Viewer)

LOL. I was photographing peregrines and using a gimbal is just not good enough at the speed they move. I guess about a minute or two was the absolute max I had the camera to my eye before getting major wobbles and arm pain.

LOL. I was photographing peregrines and using a gimbal is just not good enough at the speed they move. I guess about a minute or two was the absolute max I had the camera to my eye before getting major wobbles and arm pain.

If you got some good shots of the Peregrines then the pain is worth it!
If you didn't then you can just be sore and grumpy like the rest of us:-O

After reading this thread, I must say I admire those who can hand hold these big lenses!!!

I bought my 600mk1 seven years ago, and have never thought of hand holding it! I have a gimballed tripod of course, for use.

The lens and camera fit into a type of "backpack" for carrying. It's bulky but secure. The tripod can attach on the side of this bag, but I usually carry it.

You guys must be in incredible shape!

I didn't get any very good pictures because of incompetence in other areas. This large crop was the best of a bad bunch.

Attachments

• peregrine falcon falco peregrinus 7.jpg
    peregrine falcon falco peregrinus 7.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 146
Cracking start to owning a new lens. You won't regret your purchase but you will always wonder " should I have waited for a 600mm". Beware though the mk1 600 is very heavy!

Dave,

Now I do not wonder anymore... Oh my. I must have a screw loose. The old 500/4 was great. Actually it was so good, I couldnt resist the temptation of getting the new 600/4 ii, since the weight is about the same.

Have sold the old 500 after just a few weeks, and am now waiting for the new lens to arrive. Dealer wont get it until somewhere around the 30th though, so it'll be a tough time waiting.

Only problem is I was thinking about upgrading my 2007 $5k-ish worth of Toyota. And now dough went to camera gear instead. Not sure about my priorities in life. But hopefully I'm in the right forum for choosing lens over car.

Not sure what I want to say with this post. Just bubbling and tickling inside, after having made an irrational choice in life. I feel the need to share the moment. I'm sure you understand... ;)

Will get back with a small report in beginning of July.

I'm very jealous! Even though I have muscles that make the Greek Gods look like famine victims, I would love to have a much lighter 600 f4. :)

I'm very jealous! Even though I have muscles that make the Greek Gods look like famine victims, I would love to have a much lighter 600 f4. :)

Haha :) Yes. Im afraid Ill get tired of the weight, even though its not as heavy as the 600/4i, and change to a 500/4ii later on - but should that be the case, then at least I wont need to wonder anymore, what a 600/4ii would be like.

Haha :) Yes. Im afraid Ill get tired of the weight, even though its not as heavy as the 600/4i, and change to a 500/4ii later on - but should that be the case, then at least I wont need to wonder anymore, what a 600/4ii would be like.

I had to smile when I saw your post! The lens will hold it's value better than a car but when the car packs in ...ah, well worry about that later!
I think you have made a sensible choice as what you haven't had you can't miss and as yet you haven't had the light weight of a 500mm Mk2 so your trade for the 600mm will be a definite plus.
I have only just come to the conclusion that I will probably never own a Mk2 600 as it's hard to justify spending the dosh when I have a 500 but I won't sell the 500mm either,it's the ideal all round lens for me. I just wish I had bought the 600 instead then I could have traded down so to speak. I'm only going to get older and the weight more telling although I'm pretty well built and fit for my age so sadly that's all the reach I will now have but I am lucky to at least have that.
With the 500 I have a 2.0x TC all too often fitted and that is very restrictive for focus points although the IQ is excellent. OK, you loose a bit of reach with a 1.4 on the 600mm but the lens will be much more responsive and you have all the focus points to switch to.
You made a good choice. Enjoy. I can sense your anticipation waiting for the delivery but all good things come to those who wait!!!

Thank you Dave and Tim for making me feel good about my choice! I think the sanest way would probably have been the new 500/4. And I almost had decided to go for that one. But salesperson turned out to be a great bird photographer and also a very skilled birder. And he, of course, had the new 600/4ii. And after having showed me some spectacular photos with marvelous bokeh, combined with some other highly qualified salestalk - I had nowhere to go but down the 600-route.

Yes - anticipation is great right now! Also a bit curious. Will mrs recreationalbirder notice the difference between a 500/4i and a 600/4ii and start asking questions? And does mrs recreationalbirder know her way into the pricerunner sites? Lets hope not.

By the way:

Any recommendations for a monopod + head for the combo 1dx+600? Since I have a benro gimbal for the tripod, I guess I need the plate to work with the gimbal as well as the head for the monopod?

By the way #2:

Any ideas how to be able to attach the lens to a Black rapid strap, without having to remove the plate? I love the black rapid, but couldn't figure out a good way to go between strap and tripod. Any ideas are welcome.

Hi, my solution to this problem was to use a Kirk Quick release clamp (see photo). I bought the 1" version which works fine on my 100-400 with Jobu plate. It is pricey for what it is but is well engineered.
HOWEVER, whilst it is great for a lightweight lens, I would hesitate attaching a "big white" to this set-up as the B Rapid link is suspect at holding a heavy lens. Personally, I wouldn't trust it to give me the confidence to carry the gear over a longer distance.
Instead I use a double carabiner (photo) which connects to a special replacement lens foot (with holes in it) bought from 4th Generation Designs in the US. I can carry this lens/camera combination very comfortably over my back and shoulder all day, and still very quickly put it on the tripod.
I can give you the details if you want.

Attachments

• P1030744web.jpg
    P1030744web.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 42
  • P1030749web.jpg
    P1030749web.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 43
  • P1030747web.jpg
    P1030747web.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 47
I just saw the title of this thread and I cannot *not* give the the correct answer. The answer is no. Happiness over a period of several years is essentially a genetic trait, so a single physical item cannot in the long term make you any more or less happy. (and now you are going to tell me that you really did not mean the question that literally B :) )

Niels

John & Goodallian,
Thanks for you ideas!

And Niels - thank you for a short intro to philosophy!

Not sure I agree with conclusions though. I think the main logical flaw in your reasoning is that I didn't mention in the title, or elsewhere, that I meant over a period of several years. That is just your assumption. So given that you are right, which you have not proven btw, about the long term happiness, that would only answer one specific case of all possible periods of time that the question in the title addresses.

So, in order to answer all possible interpretations of my initial question, you would have to present 1) proof of theorem about long term happiness and 2) back your answer "no" up with decent arguments for the cases where question didn't address period of several years.

And even though this felt quite refreshing for the mind - maybe we should not go deeper into this subject, as I guess it - at least for most people - could be considered slightly off topic.

:t::-O

I just saw the title of this thread and I cannot *not* give the the correct answer. The answer is no. Happiness over a period of several years is essentially a genetic trait, so a single physical item cannot in the long term make you any more or less happy. (and now you are going to tell me that you really did not mean the question that literally B :) )

Niels

You are quite right, you cannot give the right answer!
"Happiness over a period of several years is essentially" a Canon 800 F5.6 L IS, adding a 1DX makes me even happier for longer!
When the world is falling apart around me I can always comfort myself with my toys.
Yes I am a bit of a materialist!:-O

You are quite right, you cannot give the right answer!
"Happiness over a period of several years is essentially" a Canon 800 F5.6 L IS, adding a 1DX makes me even happier for longer!
When the world is falling apart around me I can always comfort myself with my toys.
Yes I am a bit of a materialist!:-O

:-O

Edit:

I guess bottom line is that we buy stuff with emotions and try to back it up afterwards with reason. But hey, as long as I can keep fooling myself...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back