• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski 8x30-32 discussion. (2 Viewers)

Would someone please clarify which one is a Habicht? Or, if you wish, which one isn't a Habicht?

Ed

Attachments

• Habicht.jpg
    Habicht.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 81
]Lee, post 13,
The person at Swarovski who invented the name Habicht for their binoculars unfortunately seems to be dead and as yet I was not able to consult him.
Gijs van Ginkel

I had a quick consultation with this person and he told me where to look for one explanation.

See the left-hand side of the pic. This does not mean Habicht could not also refer to a mountain.

Lee

Attachments

• hab.jpg
    hab.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 86
Would someone please clarify which one is a Habicht? Or, if you wish, which one isn't a Habicht?

Ed

Hi Ed

I see you are in full tease-mode today!

All of the binos apart from the 10x40 are clearly marked Habicht and you can see from the pic attached to my post to Gijs that the 10x40 is also a Habicht. So I guess the literal and obvious answer must be that they are all Habichts (or is that Habichten?).

But I guess you are going to point out something I have missed....... :eek!:

Lee

Lee, post 22,
I am glad that you were able to enter the post-life world so quickly. The picture you show how Swarovski has teased the users with the name Habicht, since for some it might be most appealing to refer to the eyesight of the bird in the flyer. Did you also hear the hollow sounding laugh after your consultation with "the other world", since that can be part of this excursion.
Gijs van Ginkel

Gijs, Post 24

No, I haven't entered post-life yet, only knocked on the door for a consultation. I didn't hear any hollow laughter but there was a lot of yodelling.

Lee

Ed

Yep, in the old days every Swarovski product carried the Habicht badge. In my 1991 catalogue that included all the binoculars, rifle scopes, spotting scopes, the twin telescope and (despite the poor night vision of real habichts) even the Habicht Night Vision Observation Telescope.

Last edited:
Forgive me piping up, as I'm a Johnny-Come-Lately and certainly have no in-depth knowledge of Swarovski's products (other than having 2 very knocked about vintage pairs, one 7x42, the other 8x30), but I've been under the impression that back in the late '50s, their best line was branded Habicht ie the Goshawk, as opposed to their cheaper line, which was branded Falke, ie any old hawk!

Forgive me piping up, as I'm a Johnny-Come-Lately and certainly have no in-depth knowledge of Swarovski's products (other than having 2 very knocked about vintage pairs, one 7x42, the other 8x30), but I've been under the impression that back in the late '50s, their best line was branded Habicht ie the Goshawk, as opposed to their cheaper line, which was branded Falke, ie any old hawk!

This is a good question about Falke. I found some photos showing the older
Swarovski Tirol porro binoculars showing Falke on the right hand prism housing.

Falke is a German optics company and still makes rifle scopes and sights
today.

I am just speculating, but Swarovski may have done a model for Falke
which would be the same as the Swarovski at the time.

I hope that someone else can offer more on this.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back