• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (1 Viewer)

As you know I am tied up doing lots of other stuff and I'm afraid BF just has to wait - but I just had to make the 3,000 'reply' to the best thread on the whole site. Many congrats and a happy birthday. (ps - I had another 2 common cranes today :) )

cheers muchly - hope all is well at your end with all that you're getting on with, and send those bloody cranes down this way, now I've seen one, I'm allowed more (and maybe an American one with them!)

Mr Bennett is the very talented David Bennett - a superb wildlife artist from the UK who risks having his eyes stolen if I ever meet him!

I've feeling that DB's so talented been if you did that he could keep painting for a few years from visual memory

belated happy birthday old bean

Happy belated birthday!!! I love the recent work and have enjoyed getting caught up and perusing your thread . Also, thanks for mentioning David Bennett. I haven't heard of him until now - his work is amazing!

Another Birthday I missed?! It must have been a good one if you've still got the hangover and that's why you've been quiet.

I get the feeling that when the dam finally bursts on here we'll all be washed away in a torrent of delight...

Mike

Another Birthday I missed?! It must have been a good one if you've still got the hangover and that's why you've been quiet.

I get the feeling that when the dam finally bursts on here we'll all be washed away in a torrent of delight...

Mike

I'm willing to bet Mike is right about this. Next time we look we'll be overwhelmed by a torrent of delight! And another belated Happy Birthday from this quarter!

Not so sure about a torrent of delight - I've been fiddling again, we have a white wagtail watching a melodious warbler, which was fun to do - drawing the birds onto cartridge paper, glueing them onto the watercolour paper, and then filling in the gaps with watercolour - then neatening with acrylic and pencil crayon and a bit of collage. The bee eaters started off ok, then I realised the composition had to change for the sandpiper to work in there - so I tore the sections I wanted out and glued them back together, I think it will need a rework at some point, but not now - I'm fed up with it! The blackcaps, tree pipit, lesser whitethroat and wryneck is from memory, too busy looking through the flocks of migrants to sketch. Then we have blue tits, reed and willow warbler in a field of maize.

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 53
Incredible stuff. That wagtail really is watching the warbler isn't he? The bee-eaters are my favourite - what are you fed up with about this? Just the amount of work it has taken?

Incredible stuff. That wagtail really is watching the warbler isn't he? The bee-eaters are my favourite - what are you fed up with about this? Just the amount of work it has taken?

The amount of work, the fact it's on thin paper, the squat bee eater etc. It started out like the top flying bee eater, and I was really happy with it, until I realised the composition had to be about 15cm taller which meant cutting, tearing, glue and acrylic. Nothing to stop me having another go though - it's just not as light and airy as good bee eaters deserve! Maybe when I get back from work tonight I'll give it another go on a piece of paper that's big enough.

Amazing. There's so much rhythm and movement in each piece and together, as a line of thumbnails on a page, they harmonise. Your work really is like music.

Mike

Hi Nick superbly flowing Derry Pic's.
I find it hard to fault your Bee eaters pic, when I covered the top flying one up the comp. came together and the eye flowed round the pic. Just me , will wait to see what you do with it but i would have it now.

Hi Nick superbly flowing Derry Pic's.
I find it hard to fault your Bee eaters pic, when I covered the top flying one up the comp. came together and the eye flowed round the pic. Just me , will wait to see what you do with it but i would have it now.

You're right that losing the top one in this version brings it together (I didn't want to change the looseness of the flying bird so it doesn't fit so well) I think I'll keep it in the next version, but just make it work somehow, perhaps switching the angle of the first bee eater to make it more vertical, and opening up the vegetation there might help.

Another great set. Love the Blackcaps - esp the top right one, but all the compositions are just fantastic with the play of light & pattern.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back