• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Horicon Marsh? (1 Viewer)

sandrinhalee

bird happy
Hi everyone,

I'm visiting from out-of-state and though I haven't had much time for birding, I hope to be able to hop over to Horicon Marsh for a morning tomorrow. However, I hear that it's massive and have had all too many experiences going to famous bird haunts and spending way too much time in sparse areas and neglecting the best places. Can anyone give me advice on where exactly to go within the Marsh?

Thanks so much,
-- S.

Hi sandrinhalee - there's some information in the Opus article it has a visitor centre and there's a contact telephone number.

I hope some of this helps; perhaps you could help us add something to the article when you get back.

Hi everyone,

I'm visiting from out-of-state and though I haven't had much time for birding, I hope to be able to hop over to Horicon Marsh for a morning tomorrow. However, I hear that it's massive and have had all too many experiences going to famous bird haunts and spending way too much time in sparse areas and neglecting the best places. Can anyone give me advice on where exactly to go within the Marsh?

Thanks so much,
-- S.

Hi, I just now saw this post, so the answer is a tad late, but perhaps for next time you visit:

The best places to visit at Horicon Marsh are where Hwy 49 crosses the marsh. Some of the best birding can be here, just watch out for traffic.
Then, visit the auto tour loop. This can be good birding as well.
Then drive south along the east side of the marsh to the entrance to Dike Road. This road is often excellent birding, often for Rails.
If the old Marsh Rd is open, a drive down that can be good.
The visitor's center is also a good spot to check. This spot had WI's first Neotropic Cormorant last summer.

Otherwise, there are many access roads that are rarely ever birded. Check them if you have time. Who knows what you may find! :)

--C

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back