• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull identifications - Georgia May 2018 (1 Viewer)

Paul Chapman

The one thing that I know about gulls is that I know nothing about gulls.

The first two images, I am assuming relate to a second calendar year (ie first summer in old money) Armenian Gull - short thick bill, long legs, etc. They were taken at Lake Kumisi on 11th May.

The third image, I am assuming to be a second calendar year Caspian Gull - pale headed, thing long bill, pale underwing, etc. It was taken at Lake Jandari on 11th May.

The fourth and fifth images are probably pointless. There was a group of around 100 gulls which broadly I identified as Armenian Gulls at Tblisi Reservoir on 9th May 2018. In addition to a bird that I identified as Caspian Gull, there were single figures of black-backed birds. I went fuscus for the smaller long-winged birds and heuglini for the big robust birds. Sound reasonable?

Again, very happy to be educated.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Armenian Gull 01.jpg
    Armenian Gull 01.jpg
    406.1 KB · Views: 65
  • Armenian Gull 02.jpg
    Armenian Gull 02.jpg
    391.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Caspian Gull 01.jpg
    Caspian Gull 01.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 41
  • Fuscus LBBG 01.jpg
    Fuscus LBBG 01.jpg
    462 KB · Views: 32
  • Heuglin's Gull 01.jpg
    Heuglin's Gull 01.jpg
    486.3 KB · Views: 20
1-2 is a 2cy armenian gull allright, 2 is not identifiable not even on structure which is good for caspian but you can't exclude a slim armenian or a steppe gull. last ones most likely armenians just on location.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back