• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Direct flights UK to C&S America (1 Viewer)

amears

A bit lazy and will investigate myself but is anyone aware of direct flights from the UK to any Central or South American countries? Need to be good birding destinations needless to say... (but most if not all will be I realise)

Andy

A bit lazy and will investigate myself but is anyone aware of direct flights from the UK to any Central or South American countries? Need to be good birding destinations needless to say... (but most if not all will be I realise)

Andy

Iberia LHR to Costa Rica

A

Via ebookers I found direct connection from London to San Jose ( Costa Rica ) with British Airways.
Direct flights also via BA to Buenos Aires.
BA and LATAM ( LAN Chile + TAM ) flys directly from London to Sao Paulo.
From Sao Paulo international, is possible to continue to Foz de Iguazu and via taxi easy to Puerto Iguazu.
BA also fly direct to Santiago de Chile.
For Panama, Peru and Ecuador I did not found any direct fly.

I think Royal Airforce flys direct to Falkland.

Iberia I would refuse because is extrem unreliable. Baggage stolen is not unusual.
If You fly with Iberia, make sure You have an excellent lawyer !

Same I would say about Air France.

Best regards
Dieter

We had no issues with Iberia though the food was awful

There are some fairly easy, convenient options via Frankfurt, typical German efficiency makes for a very quick turnaround in most cases.

A

Via ebookers I found direct connection from London to San Jose ( Costa Rica ) with British Airways.
Direct flights also via BA to Buenos Aires.
BA and LATAM ( LAN Chile + TAM ) flys directly from London to Sao Paulo.
From Sao Paulo international, is possible to continue to Foz de Iguazu and via taxi easy to Puerto Iguazu.
BA also fly direct to Santiago de Chile.
For Panama, Peru and Ecuador I did not found any direct fly.

I think Royal Airforce flys direct to Falkland.

Iberia I would refuse because is extrem unreliable. Baggage stolen is not unusual.

Best regards
Dieter

Panama, I think you can go directly with KLM from Amsterdam on a flight theat ends up in Costa Rica, so that shouldn't be too bad?

If they allowed free stopovers, you could do both?

A

Last edited:
I think Royal Airforce flys direct to Falkland

It's with a re-fueling stop half way. Used to be Ascension Island which has some good sea birds but little else, and you could get stuck there for a week with an unfavourable schedule. Nowadays it's in Cape Verde because they didn't maintain the runway properly - probably the same guy used to fixed it who bodges up the potholes round Southampton.
Anyway the Falklands are cool but expensive, for the best sites you need to fly to the smaller islands in the archipelago and stay locally.
Your alternative is to go via Chile with LAN: Heathrow - Santiago - Puntarenas - Stanley. Bit of a trek but cheaper than the RAF. Plus they don't bump you off the flight if some service personnel need to go home unexpectedly ;)

Cheers,
Joost

Panama, I think you can go directly with KLM from Amsterdam on a flight theat ends up in Costa Rica, so that shouldn't be too bad?

If they allowed free stopovers, you could do both?

A

I did not know "direct flights from the UK to any Central or South American countries" means from also Amsterdam.

Maybe because your English isn't as good as you think it is

Nope, albatross02 is right in their definition of a direct flight. It may stop to re-fuel, or on some routes have multiple stops along the way to let people on and off, but a direct flight is a single transit from A to B - and sold as such.
Indirect routes are a great option, particularly for the likes of me living a fair distance form a major airport, but with good connections to somewhere like Amsterdam or Paris. Often more cost-effective than a direct flight too.

Cheers,
Joost

P.S. my 6 year old would be very cross with you for forgetting the full stop! ;););)

Nope, albatross02 is right in their definition of a direct flight. It may stop to re-fuel, or on some routes have multiple stops along the way to let people on and off, but a direct flight is a single transit from A to B - and sold as such.
Indirect routes are a great option, particularly for the likes of me living a fair distance form a major airport, but with good connections to somewhere like Amsterdam or Paris. Often more cost-effective than a direct flight too.

Cheers,
Joost

P.S. my 6 year old would be very cross with you for forgetting the full stop! ;););)

My answer was as disrespectful as the question was, I am aware what a direct flight is but normal people do like to point out other, low effort options, I won't bother again.

My answer was as disrespectful as the question was, I am aware what a direct flight is but normal people do like to point out other, low effort options, I won't bother again.

Peace Andy... :)

I personally like indirect routes, but less so nowadays with kids in tow!

J

If you add charters

BA do Scheduled flight from Gatwick to Cost Rica and plan to introduce Gatwick to Santiago. I did Costa Rica last month and I am waiting to see if there are deals on introduction of new route to Santiago

Virgin do scheduled to Barbados and St Lucia - birding there and or onward flights to Guyana etc.

If you add charters then Thomson(TUI) do Dreamliner flights to Cuba, Jamaica, Mexico and Costa Rica.

Thomas Cook do charters to Tobago and I think Margarita for Venezuela.

Best regards
Dieter

Never flown with Iberia, but didn't think Air France's reputation was that bad - I used to fly regularly Newcastle - Paris, and have been on a couple of long-hauls, Reunion and Tokyo... I have to say the standard of service doesn't compare to Asian airlines like JAL / ANA / Cathay Pacific, but I've never had baggage stolen, or heard of anyone who has.

Long haul klm and air France are pretty Ok. I would rather avoid Iberia (staff not customer friendly and demotivated). KLM flies to quite a lot of destinations in s america, but most of these flights are no bargain. I recently saw cheap flights in the off season to Guatemala (horend guan) for less than 500 euro, but not direct.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back