• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camera trap delights (2 Viewers)

Woohoo :t:. Excellent! It must have been sniffing the camera lol.

It does look very aware of the camera. The badgers here seem to keep their heads down lol.

Yeah, definitely knew the camera was there

The 30 second video just before that is the branches manically bouncing around, then 10 seconds into the next video this guy pops his head round the corner!

There are a couple of vids of him gathering bedding (thought not very clear), one diving back down the entrance then popping his head out again and sniffing the air, and a few just hanging about. Will get it positioned somewhere a bit more secure tomorrow, with fewer branches in the way!!

Very happy and relieved though - I've been keeping an eye on this sett for quite a few years now and I hadn't seen any sign of badgers for a couple of months. Great to know they're still about and the foxes haven't taken over the whole sett.

Yeah, definitely knew the camera was there

The 30 second video just before that is the branches manically bouncing around, then 10 seconds into the next video this guy pops his head round the corner!

There are a couple of vids of him gathering bedding (thought not very clear), one diving back down the entrance then popping his head out again and sniffing the air, and a few just hanging about. Will get it positioned somewhere a bit more secure tomorrow, with fewer branches in the way!!

Very happy and relieved though - I've been keeping an eye on this sett for quite a few years now and I hadn't seen any sign of badgers for a couple of months. Great to know they're still about and the foxes haven't taken over the whole sett.

Oh I'd love to see the gathering of bedding. I've seen evidence of it but haven't managed to capture it.

Actually I think sometimes a branch in the way takes away the "glare/reflection" of the subject. I got rid of a branch from one of my best locations and then found that the light reflected off the animal instead. Really annoying.

I wonder if your sett is a bit like mine? Mine is obviously not used full time and I think it might be a satellite sett which is just used occasionally. It's not helped by the fact that cattle wander over it in the summer and break down into it. I saw prints in the snow coming out of a couple of entrances in Nov/Dec but nothing since. I'll check again tomorrow as I haven't been down there since the last snow.

It is very hard to stay quiet whilst watching a badger gathering bedding. They waddle backwards, rolling it up as they go, and backwards down the tunnel. Very funny!! The videos aren't really worth putting up anywhere though, the badger is right at the edge of the screen both times. Hopefully I'll get a better one.

Mine is a main sett, or at least used to be. It was extremely active a couple of years ago but since then we've had several local road casualties, which might explain why it's not so active now. Looking forward to April and cub time to find out what's really going on...

hey y'all
more success with our stripey friends last night - stomping right up to the camera!
funny how the foxes trot by without a glance.

Attachments

• badger ravy 2.jpg
    badger ravy 2.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 191
hey y'all
more success with our stripey friends last night - stomping right up to the camera!
funny how the foxes trot by without a glance.

God what a huge badger :eek!:. Are you sure it isn't a giant panda lol.

I do hope you get cubs this year, you could get some great footage.

Funnily enough I had a badger last night, well early this morning really, but it's not nearly as clear as yours and it doesn't look anywhere near as big lol.

Are you using your new batteries now?

TS

Nice shot. I guess I should go and check my camera trap.

You should :eek!:. How long do you leave it for? I can happily leave mine for a few days when they're close to home but I get nervous when they're somewhere else, even though I have permission from the landowners. I just worry that someone might nick it or with a new location that I might not have the angle right... that's where one that you can view on the spot would be useful.

TS

You should :eek!:. How long do you leave it for? I can happily leave mine for a few days when they're close to home but I get nervous when they're somewhere else, even though I have permission from the landowners. I just worry that someone might nick it or with a new location that I might not have the angle right... that's where one that you can view on the spot would be useful.

TS

It's been out about a week now. Not really had time to check it but may take a lok tomorrow.

God what a huge badger :eek!:. Are you sure it isn't a giant panda lol.

I do hope you get cubs this year, you could get some great footage.

Funnily enough I had a badger last night, well early this morning really, but it's not nearly as clear as yours and it doesn't look anywhere near as big lol.

Are you using your new batteries now?

TS

Haha, yep he's a biggie!
I have the camera set up close to a scratching post tonight, in the hope that I'll get him at full stretch.... big ask but fingers crossed!

Using the rechargeables now and it's working fine. They don't last as long, but I'm just charging them occasionally in sets of 4, and leaving 8 in the camera at all times. Seems ok at the moment. I can't leave the camera for more than a couple of days at a time anyway - too impatient!

Think you should post your badger pic.... ;)

Last edited:
My first edited and uploaded badger video!
The quality isn't as good as straight out the camera, not sure why, it's gone all blotchy.
Still, here it is..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymW3bL1SPms

It looks excellent to me, I'm very impressed. It's really interesting seeing it sniffing the air and eventually checking out the camera. I'm going to have to put mine on video more often but it's way beyond my computer skills to take stills from it or put it on youtube :gh:.

Haha, yep he's a biggie!
I have the camera set up close to a scratching post tonight, in the hope that I'll get him at full stretch.... big ask but fingers crossed!

Using the rechargeables now and it's working fine. They don't last as long, but I'm just charging them occasionally in sets of 4, and leaving 8 in the camera at all times. Seems ok at the moment. I can't leave the camera for more than a couple of days at a time anyway - too impatient!

Think you should post your badger pic.... ;)

After seeing your video my pic is a bit of an anticlimax lol.

I think I'm going to have to get the rechargeables. There was a problem with the spypoint camera last night and only every other photo has come out. Rang up where I got it from and he said it's because of the cold affecting the ordinary batteries. I'll have to bring it up tomorrow and test it in the warm and then call him back. At least it's still under guarantee if it's not the batteries causing the problem.

I got three species last night, the black cat, a fox and a roe deer.

Attachments

• Badger.JPG
    Badger.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 154
After seeing your video my pic is a bit of an anticlimax lol.

I think I'm going to have to get the rechargeables. There was a problem with the spypoint camera last night and only every other photo has come out. Rang up where I got it from and he said it's because of the cold affecting the ordinary batteries. I'll have to bring it up tomorrow and test it in the warm and then call him back. At least it's still under guarantee if it's not the batteries causing the problem.

I got three species last night, the black cat, a fox and a roe deer.

I'm pretty sure it was still the cold that was causing problems - it was about 15 degrees colder then than it is now. I just don't like the idea of using so many normal batteries, so if I have to spend a day or two recharging them all then so be it.

Nice badger, my stills never come out like that - always just a blurry tail!

I'm pretty sure it was still the cold that was causing problems - it was about 15 degrees colder then than it is now. I just don't like the idea of using so many normal batteries, so if I have to spend a day or two recharging them all then so be it.

Nice badger, my stills never come out like that - always just a blurry tail!

Tested it today in the warm and it worked fine so I'll be ordering the rechargeables.

Thought I had better join in now I have some hardware.

clearly need to adjust the badger food position and assume that fox was eating it was well. But the rabbits and wild boar seem to have got the idea.

Mark

Attachments

• badg1.jpg
    badg1.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 167
  • fox1.jpg
    fox1.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 175
  • rabb1.jpg
    rabb1.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 165
  • badg3.jpg
    badg3.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 177
Nice pics, they look really sharp and clear. Badgers being characteristically uncooperative I see.

What camera are you using and what planet are the boar on? ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back