• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Economical 8x25 (1 Viewer)

Like Edwin said, I find that a bad 8x25 takes away the potential pleasure of watching through the thing.
That potential pleasure is always somewhere betwen 0-100% of the pleasure watching through a full size binocular.

So you want to have the advantage of something small and light, And I guess you don't want to give up viewing comfort? If that is the case, buy a really good 8x25, because if you buy a bad 8x25, you have something lightweight around your neck that you don't like to use. That's not what you are aiming for I guess.

So if this means you have to get a Swarovski or Zeiss victory, get it. If you really don't like them, you sell them for a minor price reduction compared to a new one and so you will only lose max. 100 dollar/euro on your initial price paid. If you buy one of 300 dollar and it's bad, how much you think it will sell after a year? I reckon you will loose as much or even more if you try to sell a mediocre binocular.

You may be right that I would have been happier with the SW or Zeiss victory,
but I do not consider the Terra "bad" or "mediocre" but just awkward.

edj

You may be right that I would have been happier with the SW or Zeiss victory,
but I do not consider the Terra "bad" or "mediocre" but just awkward.

edj

Hi Edwin,

I was careful not to state that, by default, the Swaro or Zeiss Victory are best for everyone.

I was more making a case for the no-compromise binocular in terms of not letting price be a factor in making a choice. My main argument for that is resale value and depreciation.

Hi Edwin,

......... My main argument for that is resale value and depreciation.

And that seems even more important with compacts
as the compromise between size and convenience
is greater with the little ones with sometimes strong
differences of opinion of users.

edj

I agree with many of the above comments about the Zeiss Terra ED. It performs very well, better than many smaller
8x20's, so just go ahead with confidence.

Just buy it and get your search over. Best overall value in this size. I have tried the Swaro. 8x25,
and did not find any advantage over the Terra.

Jerry

Jerry,

Agreed the Terra 8x25 hits a real sweet spot in the price for performance ratio assuming the hinge tension remains good and I have not had any problems with that. I like the Terra handling better than any other dual hinge compact including the Swarovski. For me the Terra handles better, more like a nice mid size while the Swarovski handles more like a nice compact and the Terra eyecups are more comfortable. I do think the SW is better optically, but it's also @ $500 more expensive of course.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back