• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Ultravids (thread contains a variety of topics, optic reviews & other binos) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leif said:
I believe that the Nikon 8x32 SE has far far better optics than the Swaro 8.5x42 EL (I own both), but the Bird Watching people would tell you the opposite! Part of the problem is that it depends what weight you give to the various aspects of the optics, build etc. In other words, you really need to try them yourself, preferably in the field.

My partner was given a pair of Nikon 8x32 LX for Christmas and I hate to admit this, but in a side-by-side comparison all Boxing Day against my 8x42 Ultravids the Nikons were equal in my £10 NEED test and better in edge sharpness, close focus and weight. Even in the dimmest twilight the difference was only a few minutes of marginally better seeing! Anyone fancy making me an offer for the Leicas as she won't swap with me!!!

It's amazing, Chris - you're not the first to say this kind of thing. The Nikon's have now been compared favourably against the Ultravids and the Swaros. Amazing - just shows that there is bias around of one kind or another as I've never seen them so very highly praised in a birding mag.

Chris Zorro said:
My partner was given a pair of Nikon 8x32 LX for Christmas and I hate to admit this, but in a side-by-side comparison all Boxing Day against my 8x42 Ultravids the Nikons were equal in my £10 NEED test and better in edge sharpness, close focus and weight. Even in the dimmest twilight the difference was only a few minutes of marginally better seeing! Anyone fancy making me an offer for the Leicas as she won't swap with me!!!

Is the LX model the same as the 8x32 HG DCF WP on the Warehouse Express web site, Chris - I can only find a US LX Ventura?

scampo said:
Is the LX model the same as the 8x32 HG DCF WP on the Warehouse Express web site, Chris - I can only find a US LX Ventura?

Sorry, I used the US model description - and yes, they are the 8x32 HG DCFs and coincidentally, Warehouse Express is where they came from. I asked Ace Cameras if they could provide at that price (they tend to price match) but said that was well below the price they would pay wholesale!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back