• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Florida Bird Id (1 Viewer)

tupelo080135

Birding is a way of life
Hi there to all, I have just been to Disney Nature Reserve just off Ponciana Blvd. It was quite good but lacked numbers of birds. I got a few lifers and was happy enough , when a bird appeared high in a pine tree. It looked all black and about the size of a Skylark. I could not get a good look as it was very elusive. Everytime I moved for a better look , it moved behind a giant Fir Cone. Anyway I got a a good look after fifteen minutes stalking but have no idea what it is. So help please.

Finch looking but about Skylark size. Noticabley bigger than the many yellow rumped warblers about I would say slightly smaller than Loggerhead Shrike. The back and front were heavily streaked and dark. Allot darker than anything I have seen. The head was grey to black with a yellow face. The face had a light grey patch on cheeks. The bill was like finch. It was quite long like the larger warblers in shape. Long like a large warbler but finch in appearance. What I mean is bulky like a finch but moved about like a large warbler. The streaking was very strong and white or light. It stood out all over the body top and bottom. It was very secretive and stayed at the top of the pine tree amoungst the pine cones. Sounds strange but that is what I saw. Have checked the books and cant see it. HELP

My first Brown headed Nuthatch today and my first Downy Woodpecker. Also great views of two Bald Eagles playing high above me.

Tupelo,

There isn't anything 'finch-like' that you describe in Florida, particularly in Central Florida. the habitat and general description sounds possibly Eastern Phoebe-like? Eastern Phoebes in Florida during winter have quite a bit of creamy yellow on the underbelly and breast. Another option would be an immature/dingy Yellow-bellied Sapsucker.

Carlos

I am fimiliar with these two birds and it's not them maybe my description was poor. Sorry.

Tupelo,

There isn't anything 'finch-like' that you describe in Florida, particularly in Central Florida. the habitat and general description sounds possibly Eastern Phoebe-like? Eastern Phoebes in Florida during winter have quite a bit of creamy yellow on the underbelly and breast. Another option would be an immature/dingy Yellow-bellied Sapsucker.

Carlos

Looked up the female and the plumage is near perfect except the face. There was some yellow on the face that stood out. The streaking was more prominent. Very close. There was another two american birders there but they did not know what it was either. If you look at the picture in Kenn Kaufman's guide to birds of North America. The picture of a young female Black Throated Green Warbler, that is close to the face I mean. I am not suggesting for a moment it was this but the face of that species with the body plumage of female Red winged Blackbird is what I seen. Anyway the light and the high tree can make birds look different. I wish I had recorded it as I have with most others. Had a good day again with a few lifers again. Thanks for your help

How about a female Red-winged Blackbird?

Dalcio

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back