• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Petition (1 Viewer)

devonsue

The vicarious liability petition seems to have stalled at 5200 signatures. To even get the government to debate the issue needs 100,000. Where is everybody? Please sign if you can all UK birders it is important. The aim is to change the law so that landowners are responsible for bird of prey deaths as well as their gamekeepers.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/23089

Signed today, trouble is not birders but birdwatchers (dudes and raspberries) they put feeders in the garden but aren't activists, frankly. Active birders number in the thousands, raspberries account for nearly all the million members of RSPB.

John

Signed today, trouble is not birders but birdwatchers (dudes and raspberries) they put feeders in the garden but aren't activists, frankly. Active birders number in the thousands, raspberries account for nearly all the million members of RSPB.

John

What is the RSPB take on this?

A million members?

Thank, didn't know about but have now signed.

Excuse my ignorance but what is a raspberry in birding terms?

Thank, didn't know about but have now signed.

Excuse my ignorance but what is a raspberry in birding terms?

RSPB member, not even member of local group, (RSPB local groups are great places for beginner birders and do some good fund-raising and education in basic conservation values) can probably identify simple garden birds and ducks on local pond but doesn't go off birdwatching regularly and is baffled by the whole concepts of twitching or patch recording.

Say RSPB quckly and it comes out more or less as raspberry. All right, less.

John

5,402 signatures now me and my better half have just signed.

I do wonder why anyone is really surprised there is this sort of general apathy these days?

We have been suffering daily off-road bike and 4x4 issues on and around my local SSSI reserve for some time now. With just a few pro-active local birders doing anything about the problem.

So I asked my bird club to add a police 'Neighbourhood priority survey' form to their web site and they did. I was hoping all the members, who are very aware of and regularly see and comment about bikers disturbing the birdlife here. Would take the time to fill in the form and raise the profile of this problem. If they did this, I was assured the police would raise it's priority status for this issue and help put an end to this ongoing and daily problem.
I asked 10 people yesterday about their reaction to the form. Not one had even bothered.

I suppose I should not be so surprised really. As unfortunately. Neither the Trust who own/manage the land, Natural England who should police the SSSI, or the police who one might think would uphold the law. Appear to see the daily visits by off-road vehicles, illegal fishermen and irresponsible dog walkers, as a priority and or much of a problem.
So why should I expect the locals to care?

100,000 signatures needed you say. Good luck.

If we all text 10 people with the link below and they do likewise. Who knows?
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/23089

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back