Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Ringed White Stork France

Old Thursday 27th June 2019, 05:43   #1
Mike Beer

Ringed White Stork France

A few days ago whilst visiting Honfleur, France I took a photograph of a Ringed White Stork. The leg ring was white and had four letters AYEY. How can I trace the information on this leg ring.

Thanks

Mike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1962.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	698570  
Old Thursday 27th June 2019, 06:22   #2
Hauksen

Hi Mike,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Beer View Post
A few days ago whilst visiting Honfleur, France I took a photograph of a Ringed White Stork. The leg ring was white and had four letters AYEY. How can I trace the information on this leg ring.
You could try cr-birding.org to find the ringing project.

Here's a query link which I believe matches your case:

http://cr-birding.org/colourprojects...742&tid_5=2762

Regards,

Henning
Old Thursday 27th June 2019, 06:44   #3
Mike Beer

Thank you for replying and I have looked at the link you sent. I can't work out how to trace this individual ringed bird. This is new to me I have never tried to trace a ringed bird before.

Mike.
Old Thursday 27th June 2019, 06:58   #4
Hauksen

Hi Mike,

Quote:
Thank you for replying and I have looked at the link you sent. I can't work out how to trace this individual ringed bird. This is new to me I have never tried to trace a ringed bird before.
cr-birding.org is meant to provide the email address (or in some cases, the website) of the ringing project.

There are some sites that allow interactive ring tracing, like geese.org, but I think most ringing projects don't have the technology for this yet.

In my (limited) experience, you just send a summary of your sighting to the contact mentioned at cr-birding.org, and in return, you receive a "life history" of the bird you observed. (Which can be quite fascinating!) In some cases, I even received updates whenver the bird was re-sighted by other observers.

It's usually a manual process though, so it takes the usual "human in the loop" response time before you get an answer.

Looking at the details of each project's code description as given at cr-birding.org, we can probably narrow the list down to just two projects for your stork:

http://cr-birding.org/node/1671
http://cr-birding.org/node/1724

Regards,

Henning
Old Thursday 27th June 2019, 07:26   #5
Mike Beer

Thank you it will be an interesting project for me to follow up.

Regards

Mike.
Old Friday 28th June 2019, 06:06   #6
Mike Beer

I have emailed both the above cr-birding contacts, if I get any reply I will update this post.

Mike.
Old Friday 28th June 2019, 07:43   #7
Hauksen

Hi Mike,

Quote:
I have emailed both the above cr-birding contacts, if I get any reply I will update this post.
Great, I'm looking forward to that! :-)

Regards,

Henning
Old Wednesday 10th July 2019, 09:19   #8
Mike Beer

Just to let you know, I did not receive a reply from either of the cr-birding contacts
I emailed. A bit disappointing.

Mike.
Old Tuesday 13th August 2019, 20:22   #9
Eugene Archer

Hi Mike,
I've just seen your mail regarding the CR White Stork. I'll try to contact the possible ringers involved here and report back ASAP.

Eugene
Old Wednesday 14th August 2019, 13:49   #10
Eugene Archer

Hello again Mike,

Here's the history of the bird in question. Seems like it was ringed as a chick in the same area in 2012 and has been seen not far from Honfleur on several occasions plus once in Spain. Can you give me the exact date and location when you saw it please so that I can pass it on ?

All the best,
Eugene

PS: It seems like your original message may have ended up in the spam folder due to the addresse / subject line . . .sorry about that !
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AYEY.pdf (76.7 KB, 8 views)
Old Saturday 17th August 2019, 05:51   #11
Mike Beer

Hello Eugene thank you for you PM, I also had missed your reply on BF. The bird was photographed on 24th June 2019 on the roof of the Dechetterie, 14600, La Riviere-Saint-Sauveur, France. 49.4125916 0.2633855

I also photographed at the same time and at the same location a second White Stork with the same coloured rings on the right leg a white ring with black letters BTVR. I also sent this sighting to CR but received no reply, perhaps that also ended up in a spam folder.

Regards. Mike
Old Saturday 17th August 2019, 11:57   #12
Eugene Archer

Btvr

Hi Mike,

BTVR is also a local bird who hasn't been seen outside the region except for last year when it was in Spain.

Eugene
Attached Files
File Type: xls BTVR.xls (55.0 KB, 1 views)
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: