• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bresser Everest (ED) 8x42 (1 Viewer)

What I do with any new to me binocular is to examine how closely the barrels are to each other optically. Do you get the same degree of apparent sharpness with both eyes, or is one side either noticeably strong or weak? Does the diopter focus the eye with minimal adjustment or do you need to do a bit of fidgeting to get it right? Does the diopter stay adjusted from one day to the next or do you have to reset it every time you use it? Focus on a power line or roof top, something with a long straight line and move the binocular away from your eyes. Does the power line stay as one line, or it is higher on one barrel than the other? Does the binocular focus with minimum fuss or do you have to roll back and forth over the object a time or two to get it focused.

There is more, but if the barrels don't focus equally, if the line splits, or if the diopter is funky, or the focus is not right, then chances are you don't need to look for much more.

If it passes those basic tests, start looking for build issues, fit and feel and other image parameters.

The most important view you will ever get from any binocular is the first one, so pay attention.
Well, I just got back from Yellowstone Park in Wyoming and the Bresser's were the only binocular I took and they performed very well on the native wildlife which included a lot of different birds, elk, Bison and even two rather large and aggressive Grizzly bears. The Grizzly's were very close being 100 yards or so away and it was rather scary to be 8x times closer to the bears. They were beautiful through the Bresser's. The Bresser's performed flawlessly while scanning Hayden Valley for wildlife and I had no problems with fogging up or the focus getting stiff in the colder temperatures.

one more QC experience

Just to add my 2 cents worth to this enormous thread: I recently imported a pair of Everest ED 8x42 to Australia, liked them a lot but soon found a diopter problem developing that seemed identical to Brown Pelican's experience in post #282. Long story short, i paid shipping to to return them to Explore Scientific, and they confirmed a QC problem and paid return shipping for a replacement pair. I now have it and think it's a good binocular at any price.

Just to add my 2 cents worth to this enormous thread: I recently imported a pair of Everest ED 8x42 to Australia, liked them a lot but soon found a diopter problem developing that seemed identical to Brown Pelican's experience in post #282. Long story short, i paid shipping to to return them to Explore Scientific, and they confirmed a QC problem and paid return shipping for a replacement pair. I now have it and think it's a good binocular at any price.
I have to update my experiences with the Bresser's. I had eyecup problems with my first pair and optical problems with my second pair of Bresser's and because of QC issues with them I would NOT recommend them at any price. Good optics but troublesome when you use them.

Last edited:
Any other long term reviews

Just getting into this arena - bins - and wondering if anyone else has long term reviews/experience with these Bressers?

Thank you.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back