• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

'Advanced' field guides (1 Viewer)

Jamspangle

Up the boro!
I know i´ve read about these somewhere on the forum before but can´t seem to locate the thread so i´ll ask you good people here - can anyone tell me the name of two books. One is a 'birds by their behaviour' - a jizz manual if you want (!) and the other i read someone call a 'hard' bird book - not many pictures but very detailed descriptions of how to seperate a given species from it´s potential confusion species.

i would be very grateful if anyone could help
jamie

found one thanks to clever web page

just as i post it it gives me other pages that may interest me and the answer to my second question is there - it´s the 'Macmillan field guide to bird id' - cheers to Alastair Rae for posting that and helping me unwittingly. Right, i´ll stop replying to myself and look for that other one.

Birds by Behaviour ! written by Dominic Couzens published by Collins

can't think what the other one is unless its one of the two MacMillan guides

I presume the MacMillan you referring to is the one by Vinnicombe, Harris and Tucker - its excellent btw.

Has anyone used this one published at the same time.

The Macmillan Birder’s Guide to European and Middle Eastern Birds (Harris, Shirihai and Christie)

I've got the Harris, Shirihai and Christie. It's in very much the same style as the Vinnicombe et al. and just as good. However, it's of less relevance to the birder in Britain unless (s)he's faced with a rarity. I can post a lits of contents if anyone wants.

Jason

Similar to the Birds by behaviour book is another (out of print) book by Rob Hume et al called Birds by character: a field guide to jizz. It came out several years ago and, whilst quite innovative, failed to catch on. I think it tried to offer an almost 'subjective' approach to bird identification, so that rather looking at feather tracts you were almost encouraged to 'feel' the bird. Nice idea but maybe it was trying to capture in a book what can't really be captured in words or even pictures.

Couzens, Birds by Behaviour

I have been unable to get a look at Couzens's Birds by Behaviour. Does anybody out there know of (or is anyone out there inclined to write) a substantive review?
Thanks!
Rick Wright
Editor, Winging It
[email protected]

Hi, Rick! A very warm welcome to you from all of us on staff here at BirdForum!

I'm afraid I can't help you with your request, but I'm sure someone will be along who can. Look forward to your participation here! :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back