• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sightron "Blue Sky" II 8x32 (2 Viewers)

Wow, it hasn't died yet.

Thanks guys.

My unit is still going strong after all this time and with regular use.

When my luggage got itself lost somewhere in Norway, all I had with me were my Sightron bins. The others hadn't seen them yet and they all had that look of commiseration when I said they were a non ED bino. I was super glad I had them and were a joy to use and even at minus 15 on the ferry the focus stayed smooth .

Glad I brought them and glad I kept them. A top performer and I love mine.

Ditto. Just pulled mine off the shelf by my back window (bird feeder bins) to compare them to my newest addition (Bushnell Engage 10x42's) and I'm still amazed at the handling and the resolution of the Sightrons!

I'll admit I didn't read all 63 pages ;).

I suddenly decided I need a pair of 8x32s, and the first things I thought about was this thread and the cult following of the BSII 8x32.

Is it still the choice for a 'value' 8x32 at around $190 USD? Surely there have been improvements/cost reductions in the last seven years that have left the BSII behind? Or maybe not?

Hi Cattleball. As often mentioned in the thread, I reckon it remains a good choice.

Its main advantages include exceptional sharpness at the centre, along with good handling. Also, based on four examples, unusually good quality control for the price.

Like quite a few 'older models', such as Nikon 8x32 HG (much more expensive even second hand, marginally less sharp but with less distortion away from the centre than BSII), I don't think it has been left behind at all.

Last edited:
I'll admit I didn't read all 63 pages ;).

I suddenly decided I need a pair of 8x32s, and the first things I thought about was this thread and the cult following of the BSII 8x32.

Is it still the choice for a 'value' 8x32 at around $190 USD? Surely there have been improvements/cost reductions in the last seven years that have left the BSII behind? Or maybe not?

Cattleball, don't fall for all the marketing terminology and two letter designations. The resolving power and contrast of the little Blue Sky's will hold it's own with many binoculars costing 3x as much. You really have to see it to believe it. Every time I get a new pair of binoculars (which seems to be about every 6 months for me LOL) I immediately compare them to my little 8x32 Blue Sky's because those to me are the benchmark in ergonomics, focus wheel function and resolution. If they can't beat those (and not that many sub $1k bin's do) then they don't stay in my stable very long.

I almost bought these for my hiking binoculars

The price on them are great. But when I saw them in person, they were huge for 8x32!

The main purpose of me getting 8x32 was to be more jacket pocket friendly....can anyone recommend similar quality optic 8x32, in the same price range, but smaller overall dimensions...thanks

The price on them are great. But when I saw them in person, they were huge for 8x32!

The main purpose of me getting 8x32 was to be more jacket pocket friendly....can anyone recommend similar quality optic 8x32, in the same price range, but smaller overall dimensions...thanks

You might take a look at the Nikon Monarch 7 8x30. A little pricier, but smaller.
I looked through a friend's pair on a pack trip. The view was good, but the eye relief not enough for me with my glasses.

Next would be the Opticron 8x32 Traveller ED. Its of a similar size. I own a pair, and love the size, fit, focusser, quality of view, but again, not enough eye relief, so I don't use them. If you don't wear glasses either of these should work fine for you.

If you're willing to spend even more money:

The best 'fit in your pocket' binocular I can recommend would be the Zeiss 8x25 Victory Pocket. It will fit in a SHIRT pocket when folded up. Great optics. A bit more fiddly getting the alignment right, but when lightweight and portable are the primary concerns, they are great. Eye relief works for me.

Jacket pocketable and more $:
Nikon Monarch HG 8x30- I've had them for a few months and think they are great. They appear to be a close cousin of the Opticron in terms of chassis. My current lunchtime birding bin, as well as for travel. Excellent, wide view, and enough eye relief for glasses. I also find 8x30 easier to view with than 8x25.

Swarovski 8x30 'nu': I tried these at the same time as the Nikons, and went with the Nikons. The primary distinction I could see in limited back and forth testing was that the Nikon had a slightly warmer color. Eye relief was surprisingly accommodating with glasses. The main difference with the Nikon was the price. The Swaro is another couple hundred dollars more. Its a fine binocular.

Try before you buy!

-Bill

Attachments

• 8x30.nikon.opticron.sm.jpg
    8x30.nikon.opticron.sm.jpg
    337.7 KB · Views: 275
Nikon Prostaff 7S 8x30 is a good alternative to the Monarch 7 if you need the same size for half the price. You sacrifice some FOV but it's still a very nice near-compact.

Those 2mm more on the Sightron 8x32 objectives do make a difference from the 30 mm objectives on the Monarch 7 8x30. And the 2 hinges on the Sightrons optical tubes don't help make it any smaller either.

Here is a Pentax 9x28 for $163.25 which is made by Ricoh in the Philippines like the Sightron is. And the objectives on it are 4mm smaller than an 8x32. It weighs 12.8 ounces.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1113203-REG/pentax_62831_9x28_ad_wp_binocular.html

It has narrow FOV, 294'@1000yds. It has good eye relief of 18mm and it will fit into a flannel shirt pocket. I gave one to my son a while back to take with him to Chile when he was an exchange student. He also took it to Macchu Piccu with him and Lake Titicaca where it fell into the water but it survived the dunking. He saw an Andean Condor with it.

Bob

Last edited:
Just giving thanks for my Sightron 8x32. I've owned it for about two years and it was my first really full time birding binocular. I used it it today for an hour or so, and I was impressed. The word that best describes this binocular is comfortable. I remember how relaxed the view was from the first time I looked through the Signtron, and it is still true today. In common with much more expensive binoculars, you very quickly forget you are looking through a binocular and you feel you are in the scene. I have "better" binoculars that I use more often, but this is a compelling package, particularly at the price. Highly recommended.

Alan

They're still listed in the catalogue and I'll wager they'll be in the 2019 as well. Whilst they cannot be everything unto everyone they still punch well above modest price.

Vive la petit ciel bleu!

Gyr Falcon and Stellar / King Eider at - 20.

Lammergeir and Egyptian Vultures at +35.

Chasing Grosbeaks through snownclad pine forests.

Eight hours on the ocean chasing cetaceans day after day.

And not once have they failed or left me wanting in the years I've owned them. Yes they're quite large, but I've spent thousands of hours looking through them and have enjoyed every view and moment.

Just giving thanks for my Sightron 8x32. I've owned it for about two years and it was my first really full time birding binocular. I used it it today for an hour or so, and I was impressed. The word that best describes this binocular is comfortable. I remember how relaxed the view was from the first time I looked through the Signtron, and it is still true today. In common with much more expensive binoculars, you very quickly forget you are looking through a binocular and you feel you are in the scene. I have "better" binoculars that I use more often, but this is a compelling package, particularly at the price. Highly recommended.

Alan

Very well put Alan. I completely agree with your description, which is why although I've bought and sold probably 12 pairs since buying the little Sightrons, they still sit proudly on my shelves near the back window, ready at a moment's notice. Every person I've loaned them to in the years I've had them, has been very impressed and wants a pair of their own.

IT'S BACK......

I had to resurrect this thread ... ha, ha ... in response to the "value sweet spot" thread that recently kicked off; thinking wasn't it unanimously decided that this is IT????

.... and to hear the grumble of many long term forum members from hundreds of miles away :) he, he.

Is FrankD still in the house?

CG

I'm saving me pristine bins until they become an antique.

Then hopefully they will adorn the walls of a dark und dinghy birders pub should such exist.

Accompanied with modest plaque: 'Frank viewed here'.

Betwixt pints locals will regale

How the little bin that could; doth prevail ...

I tried the Sightron Blue Sky II 8x32 when Frank recommended them and although I feel they are a good binocular for the price because they are pretty good at everything the thing that turned me off about them immediately was the smallish sweet spot which is only about 50 to 60%. I think there are better choices out there now because you can get ED glass and a magnesium chassis in something like the Hawk Endurance ED 8x32 for the same amount of money as the Sightron Blue Sky II 8x32 and have better optics to boot.

Hard to believe this thread has gone almost a year without a new post. I thought I'd bump it to say that the Blue Sky 8x32 has seen a price drop to $130 on a few sites (Adorama, Sightron's own site). It may just be a holiday season thing, but the fact that the Fuji and Sig Sauer versions are both discontinued indicates that they may have reached their end of production. I share Denis's inclination that they're probably been surpassed in this price range, but thought I'd bump the thread in case anyone was hoping to grab a pair at a decent price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back