• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sedge Warbler v Reed Warbler (1 Viewer)

Stoggler

Getting to grips with young gulls
I am having real trouble with these two birds, and wondering if anyone is able to suggest some pointers.

I was at the Barnes WWT centre on Friday morning and I could hear the song coming from the reeds in a number of places. Much watching of the reeds and the odd glimpse of the bird didn't help with a physical ID, but I cannot tell the difference between the songs (still a novice!), although having just listened to the recordings of the two birds on the RSPB site I think I'm verging towards the reed warbler (if anyone is interested and knows the WWT Centre at Barnes, it was the first set of reeds you reach by the pond area just by the domestic ducks).

The same thing happened on Saturday down on the Sussex coast by Littlehampton, when I heard a bird singing in the reeds (same sort of song), but only got a very quick glimpse of the bird as it flew off.

All very frustrating!!

It's all about tempo and variation I would say. Reed Warbler has a regular plodding, steady rather plodding tempo whereas Sedge Warbler is as frenetic as any British bird. They also include a lot of mimicry, which Reed Warbler does a bit but not nearly so much.

Here's a Reed Warbler - notice that it keeps at the same regular pace throughout:
http://www.tarsiger.com/mp3/jawetus/FISFN0800131.mp3
Here's a Sedge Warbler - notice that it changes tempo a lot, sometimes slow then frenetically fast.
http://sounds.bl.uk/View.aspx?item=022M-W1CDR0001431-2200V0.xml

Thanks for the replies - useful links. In hindsight, I think they were reed warblers but the memory is a little hazy. The best thing for me to do is get back out there and listen to them more and also ID them visually.

Thanks again.

I once remember Bill Oddie talking about separating the songs of Sedge and Reed Warbler. His simple explanation helped me......the faster song of the Sedge=Spirited, and the slower song of the Reed=Relaxed.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back