• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbird nest on my deck (1 Viewer)

Chris72

Sorry if I have this posted in the wrong section. I'm not a bird person. But a Hummingbird has a nest on my rose bush under my covered deck with 2 eggs in it, and one egg seems to have expired :(. The other egg is still intact, but I am worried about its future. I have pictures I have taken while the bird was away and some video as well that I can post.

It's hard to leave the bird alone since I have to walk within 5 feet of the nest to enter my home. We do our best, but I fear everyday life may have gotten the best of these little eggs.

This is the first picture I took.
bird004.jpg

And this is what I saw this morning.
bird012.jpg

Looks like one of the eggs has hatched; the other should follow soon (but it might be a good idea to keep away from the nest as much as possible until it does).

The hatched egg obviously didn't make it. Should I remove the remains or just leave it alone? I feel like I should do something. I did hang a feeder within two feet of the nest, and she uses it a lot (and runs off all the other Hummingbirds who try to use it) to try to help her along. I dunno... I feel like I failed the poor bird somehow.

The hatched egg obviously didn't make it. Should I remove the remains or just leave it alone? I feel like I should do something. I did hang a feeder within two feet of the nest, and she uses it a lot (and runs off all the other Hummingbirds who try to use it) to try to help her along. I dunno... I feel like I failed the poor bird somehow.

Ah, the nestling’s dead. I assumed it was still alive & was just lying quietly on the bottom of the nest as young birds often do in reaction to a “predator” (such as yourself). I don’t think there’s any point in disturbing the nest further by removing the dead nestling. At this stage I’d just leave things alone & see what happens, keeping away from the nest as much as possible.

I wouldn’t feel too bad about this, BTW. Birds build their nests in inappropriate places & bad things happen, but they seem to take it in their strides.

Thanks for the replies!

The bird is more or less undisturbed except for maybe 5 minutes out of the day when I or my wife come and go. My lawn is overgrown since I don't want to mow it (my HOA can kiss my butt) and disturb the poor thing anymore, and our kids are more than happy to stay in and play computer games or the like.

Hopefully the other egg hatches and I can post pics of the little guy soon!

I assumed it was still alive & was just lying quietly on the bottom of the nest as young birds often do in reaction to a “predator” (such as yourself)

You were right. The second egg hatched last night and both seem to be fine. Good thing I didn't try to help the poor bird.
DSCF1128.jpg

Here's a shot of the mom.
DSCF1124.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back