• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bino mount/tripod (1 Viewer)

dries1

hello,

I am looking for a binocular mount/tripod for a SLC Binocular series glass, and will get the tripod adapter from Swarovski, however are there any ideas/suggestions - as far as a light tripod, which can be flexible with use with a mono pod and provide decent viewing while sitting. I am 6' 3".

Andy W.

Perhaps this thread would be better placed on the Tripods and Heads forum.

Unfortunately the vast majority of monopods are unsuitable for people of our height (I am 192 cm). I sometimes use bins on a Manfrotto Neotec 685B, which extends to 170 cm. With a Sirui L-10 tilt head and Leica bino adapter it allows comfortable eye-level viewing with a little extra available height for elevated viewing. Though the Manfrotto is neither light nor cheap, it does offer the unique advantage of a rapid height change via the pistol grip.

On the other hand, if you are willing to forego this comfort your needs would be served by any monopod, which extends high enough. Stability is not really an issue as your own shakes are going to be several orders of magnitude higher than any vibrations in the monopod.

My scope is used on a Sirui tripod, which has a detachable leg that can be used as a Monopod. However I have never used it as such because it is far too short. If the tripod is only to be used with bins (15x?) then height is the important criterion and stability secondary. A ball head with friction adjustment and a panorama function would be the ideal solution here.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back