• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

D300/D3 users? (1 Viewer)

wileec

Looking for good US source for adapters that will work well for getting this camera set up to mate with a scope. I have settled on an astro scope*, based on several emails with people from the forum, but they are Canon shooters.

As I understand it - it's scope, 50mm spacer, camera adapter and possibly a modified short spacer, camera. It's the two before the camera that I need some help with. My camera is the Nikon D300.

TIA

*Either the Astro Tech AT-80ED or Sky-Watcher Black Diamond 80ED

Looking for good US source for adapters that will work well for getting this camera set up to mate with a scope. I have settled on an astro scope*, based on several emails with people from the forum, but they are Canon shooters.

As I understand it - it's scope, 50mm spacer, camera adapter and possibly a modified short spacer, camera. It's the two before the camera that I need some help with. My camera is the Nikon D300.

TIA

*Either the Astro Tech AT-80ED or Sky-Watcher Black Diamond 80ED

Just copied my reply from the other thread as I see you posted this twice.

For the extension tubes, I'd get them from here. Make sure you get them in 2" size like the ones on the link and it's probably best to get the 50mm and the 35mm for full versatility. 50mm will be ok but for close in stuff like 10-20m range the 35mm will be needed also.

You will then need a T-mount with Nikon bayonet. These are readily available on ebay or anywhere else but ebay will likely be the cheapest. Do a search for Nikon T-mount. This is basicaly a ring that has the Nikon bayonet on one side and a threaded hole on the other side.

Into the threaded hole on the T-mount you will screw in a 2" telescope adapter like the one here.

For the scope I'd definitely go for the Skywatcher. It has slightly better quality glass and the longer focal length will be something that's always useful for capturing more detail.

Paul.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back