• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK: Mipit in a tree or Tree Pipt at last? (1 Viewer)

Pitvar

Another pipit in my on going saga of Mipit confusion - the colour of this and the bill suggested Tree to me compared to all the obvious Mipits I saw on the same trip but again you're thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks

Attachments

• DSC_0656.jpg
    DSC_0656.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 292
I think meadow also but this bird seems to be a greyish bird rather than the norm.

CB

Agree with meadow. I think greyish tones especially on the head is not that uncommon in breeding plumage. Saw a flock recently that all had greyish heads.
Also there was a thread on here recently that showed a meadow with a greyish head.

Agree with meadow. I think greyish tones especially on the head is not that uncommon in breeding plumage. Saw a flock recently that all had greyish heads.
Also there was a thread on here recently that showed a meadow with a greyish head.

Carnt say i've ever noticed a greyish headed bird like that above before.

CB

Thanks all, found on another shot what looks like a very long hind claw - does that clinch it for Meadow as well? Colour wise - straight out of the camera and there were loads of Mipits around at the same time that had the more normal greenish tones.

Attachments

• DSC_0653.jpg
    DSC_0653.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 132
Yes, that helps, although I think it was already clinched.

I agree that grey-headed birds are not ultra-unusual but I'm not sure this bird really is especially grey-headed. The shadows are playing tricks on perceptions but the only bit that stands out to me as oddly grey is a single row of lower scapulars.

Here's another from today on Cannock Chase - even looking at the bill and looking for the pale spot behind the eye I'm still not sure! [sorry] This one has a darker bill that looks thicker [although maybe not as thick as the one in Jane's typical pic] and has stronger markings around the eye and the slight hint of a pale spot to the back of the eye area. Luckily the cuckoo, skylarks, stonechats and whitethroats that I saw were easier to identify

Again this was much paler and greyer than the mipits of which there were plenty. Have a I found another very grey mipit!?!

Thanks, Peter

Attachments

• DSC_1027.jpg
    DSC_1027.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 116
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back