• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cape Verde Frigate Birds Help Please (1 Viewer)

ebirder

Has anyone been to Boa Vista in the last few months, I'm currently here and have failed so far to find any of the Magnificent Frigate Birds at the usual haunts.

Any up to date info would be very much appreciated as I only have a few days left.

Thanks

The 8th Cape Verde bird report was published earlier this month...
Magnificent frigatebird Fregata magnificens Mathews, 1914
BOA VISTA: two females were seen at ilhéu de Curral Velho, 15 February 2014 (PLS). During a visit to Curral Velho islet on 10 January 2014, a frigatebird nest with a single egg was found, but during a subsequent visit on 13 March, only egg shells were found and the egg apparently did not hatch and was presumably predated (PLS). Away from Boa Vista, single male frigatebirds were reported from Sal, ca. 5 July 2014 (JC), and Raso, ca. 10 October 2014 (TM).
In November 2012, the total frigatebird population in Cape Verde was thought to consist of one male and one female (López Suárez et al. 2012). The sighting of two females at Curral Velho in February 2014 perhaps allows for some subdued optimism, be it of the most cautious sort. At present, Curral Velho islet is the only breeding locality of Fregata in the Cape Verde archipelago and, indeed, in the whole of the eastern Atlantic. There has been no nesting activity at the former breeding site of Baluarte islet, off eastern Boa Vista, during the past 10 years and breeding success at Curral Velho islet has been zero during the same period. It is as yet unclear if individual frigatebirds from the Cape Verde population wander into the Atlantic, only to return to the islands at a later date, or if trans-Atlantic dispersal occurs, with birds from Caribbean populations possibly reaching Cape Verde at times.
I'd guess that your only realistic chance is to try Curral Velho again – my wife and I saw one bird there in March 2006.

Thanks all for your fast responses, I've staked out Curral Velho for three mornings with no luck so far. I think I just need a bit of luck on these as I thought there were still 6 but based on Richards data looks like my odds have at least halved.
Thanks again

Ebirder

On 2nd May 2013, very early in the morning, I saw one over Ilheu Baluarte (a previous site) from Ilheu dos Passoros. Travelling and away from any maps so not convinced on spelling. Not sure whether this island is easily scoped from the mainland. So that site is worth a look despite no recent breeding activity.

We dipped at Curral Velho in a couple of hours whilst one was sitting tight on the island unseen from the mainland.

All the best

Last edited:
The two biggest colonies of Magnificent Frigatebird I know about are in the Caribbean and Mexico. As far as I know, they both are situated in mangrove bushes growing in a lagoon. I was therefore surprised as seeing the nests on such barren grounds in the photos Richard linked to. Is that common for MagFrigs elsewhere?

Niels

I never did see them, spent quite a few hours looking but sadly for now they will evade my WP list.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back