Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Leupold Northfork comments anyone?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Monday 16th December 2013, 20:09   #1
PhilR.

Leupold Northfork comments anyone?

Hello all,

Can anyone tell me about the Leupold Northfork (possible North Fork)? I don't see it on their website, but this model is on sale at CDNN. This is the model with a small single-hinge design, much like a Krueger Caldera. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

PhilR.
Old Monday 16th December 2013, 21:12   #2
jremmons
Wildlife Biologist

Phil,

This is a model for which I've also attempted to scrounge information and have found very little. I've noticed that with Leupold, things such as lens coating and type of glass utilized are left relatively ambiguous on their own product descriptions. From what I've been able to gather, they feature Fully Multi-coated lenses and have "super highly reflective" prism coatings, which I believe were also found on the Leupold Gold Ring binoculars.
I will also say that all Leupold models I've owned have been a fantastic value given their price.

Happy birding,
Justin
Old Monday 16th December 2013, 21:52   #3
Steve C

I can't be a lot of help, but I have had the Northfork to my eyes several times. They have the long barrels created by the high single hinge, so would be useful if a person has large hands.

Their optics always seemed pretty good, but they have a sort of pedestrian fov, it's less than 7* if memory serves . That is certainly not bad, but I suppose it depends on your personal tastes there.

Other than to say I thought they were pretty decent, I don't remember much specific. The color rendition seemed neutral, they had pretty good color saturation, maybe a bit of a warm color bias, and pretty decent contrast.

The one conversation I remember with somebody at Leupold seemed to indicate people had the notion that the hinge design was weak. Tell that to a Leupold or Kruger engineer and you will have an argument.

"Do what you can, where you are, with what you have" Teddy Roosevelt.

BF Supporter 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 17th December 2013, 14:35   #4
PhilR.

Thank ya'll very much for your comments!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: