Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Leupold Yosemite 8x30

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Monday 19th February 2007, 14:40   #76
Pileatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by eetundra
I wonder how much these will cut into the sales of Eagle Optics SRTs, Celestron Nobles, Minox BLs, and the like. Consider they appear to compete optically with binoculars up to the range of the Pentax SP they should do well. Being waterproof and compact helps.

Does anyone own an 8x30 and 8x32 roof in the under $500 range that they'd care to comment on the optics in compared to the Yosemite?
They are not as "waterproof" as the internal focus models but it's really about advertising. The few that get returned are easily replaced.
Old Tuesday 20th February 2007, 15:04   #77
Tero
Master Naturalist, NE
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by eetundra
I wonder how much these will cut into the sales of Eagle Optics SRTs, Celestron Nobles, Minox BLs, and the like. Consider they appear to compete optically with binoculars up to the range of the Pentax SP they should do well. Being waterproof and compact helps.
All 8x are in competition with each other in this price, even the Monarch 8x36. From what I have heard, the Yosemites may not be quite as rugged as the others. If you take them on a trip as your only binocular, that is the risk you take.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 24th May 2007, 01:18   #78
Bob A (SD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tero View Post
All 8x are in competition with each other in this price, even the Monarch 8x36. From what I have heard, the Yosemites may not be quite as rugged as the others. If you take them on a trip as your only binocular, that is the risk you take.
Tero,

Curious.... where exactly have you heard that the 8x30 Yosemites may not be all that rugged? Not trying to be adversarial here at all. Its just that I've done a LOT of on line reading while researching this model before deciding about any acquisition and I didn't see anything mentioned about possible fragility. There was some speculation about internal construction methods but.... Anyhow, I just acquired a pair and posted my thoughts in this forum under the "Thinking of upgrading to the Leupold Yosemite 8x32 (SIC)" thread.

--Bob
http://rap.midco.net/bald1/rear_tag_avitar.JPG

Last edited by Bob A (SD) : Thursday 24th May 2007 at 01:24.
Old Wednesday 20th June 2007, 19:54   #79
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by John from Scappoose View Post
.... The Yosemite was simply one of my best, and last projects. It is something of which I shall always be proud. I hope those of you who use them enjoy them. (Criticisms, if there are any, are actually much better received than you might expect.)

Cheers,
John
Hello John, belated congratulations! I just got a batch of six 6x30s for our school today (shipped from the US), and I am very impressed. (I have written more about them in the 6x30 thread.) I am sure the students will love them too.

Greetings from Switzerland where Leupolds seem to be virtually unknown. Or are they marketed under some other name?
!

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 20th August 2008, 23:13   #80
Tero
Master Naturalist, NE
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Tero,

Curious.... where exactly have you heard that the 8x30 Yosemites may not be all that rugged? Not trying to be adversarial here at all.
I think it was Otto McDiesel, he bought a half dozen pairs for kids. One pair had some issues.

I had a chance to compare some binoculars. I had Bushnell Legend 8x32 with me. It was sharper with wider sweet spot than the Yosemite 8x30. I also compared to Nikon Action 8x40, not EX. It was not as bright as the Yosemite but similar.

The 8x30 Yosemite reminds me most of the Eagle Optics 8x32 SRT that I still have. Sharp is the middle, sweet spot not huge, but not truly awful past the sweet spot. Both equally bright.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: