Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Wednesday 22nd August 2007, 23:22   #26

Originally Posted by Old Pirate View Post
I actually stood with three pair of binoculars in front of me and tried them all at the same time.

$1,300, $1,070, and $299 respectively.

Ok...the first two were really bright and clear...but so was the third one.

I focused on the same object over and over.

I looked hard for justification for me to pay the top dollar which I was prepared to do. I couldn't see it so I asked the shop owner and long time friend which was the best value.

He said..."if you want to see in the last light of day and the first light of morning then dig deep, but if you are going to use them in the other 95% of daylight then except for name flaunting I can't see the difference either."

I'm happy....except I bought the 10's instead of the 8's. The word is I'm too old to be using 10's.

Supposedly, Swarovski spent a lot of money studying what people should use, and in the end the answer has to do with the date on your birth certificate. Swarovski found after spending nearly a quarter million dollars that we all get tremors as we get older and after age 40 most people can't hold anything more than an eight for a long period of time steady. That of course is a "rule of thumb".

I see a lot of people on all these threads recommending 8's.

If the 10's start to shake too bad I can go back and get 8's and still not have spent half of what I could if I wanted form and not function.

If you want the top end and can afford it..then by all means, but is it truly necessary for what we as hobbyist do? Personally I didn't think so when I had them all in hand.
Wise choice Leupolds are excellent binoculars and optics these top line are all hype and high price I too could not tell any difference except the price and name these"Status" symbols binoculars are way over rated and over priced they are not so perfect Leicas have focus problems from what I have read on the forums ,Swarovskis too heavy for many and sticky eyecups on the 8x30 swarovskis what is so perfect about these? it seems all hype and bragging rights but what about ? your eyes only can tell you what is a clear image there is only so much clarity and perfection that an optic can have that means ANY optic a mid priced Leupold, Kowa, and YES the U.S. Bushnell Legends I looked through have optics as clear and good as these overpriced Zeiss,Leica, and Swarovskis I have good eyesight and looking through these they are all the same image wise it makes no sense spending thousands of dollars what you can do for $250- $400 be smart as a buyer I suggest anyone view through some pair of Leupold 8x42s Pinnacle,Olympic or Cascades the Bushnell "Legend" and the Kowa 8x32s and 8x42s then decide for yourself.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: