• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where do you think Winterwatch will come from? (1 Viewer)

IAN JAMES THOMPSON

Where do you think or would like Winterwatch to come from at the end of January on the BBC? There are lots of places I can think off like Loch Garten on Speyside as well as lots of other places.
Ian.

There's a Winterwatch on its way? Fabulous! Just goes to show how little i watch the BBC now...

Last edited:
You won't have to wait long for the next 'Watch'. Winterwatch 2016 returns in January at the Mar Lodge Estate in the snowy Cairngorms, 170 miles due north of WWT Caerlaverock.

The Cairngorms provide a unique alpine semi-tundra moorland habitat, home to many rare plants, birds and animals, including red deer, roe deer, mountain hare, pine marten, red squirrel, wild cat and otter, as well as the Cairngorm Reindeer, the only herd of reindeer in the British Isles.

:t:

The very first one they did was a recorded programme in response to the very harsh winter we had (2011 I think?). I think that would be better than the live version to give them a chance to build a cohesive, content-rich programme. I sometimes think they're struggling for content on the live version.

I hope they will have the live webcams back on Winterwatch 2016, as they where missing on Winterwatch in January 2015 due to the cuts at the BBC, having previously having the webcams/red button service on Winterwatch in 2014.
Ian.

Should be a great show,with or without fighting deer,it's very near to where I took my winter mountaineering course in the early '70's

Milder air and rain around Mar Lodge,when I was In the area today,so I doubt the snow that has been lying of late,shall still be around In the area come next week,when the programme goes live.Snow shall still sit on the higher tops and I believe a fair bit of filming has been done already,so It will still have a cold feel to It.

Nothing wrong with today's programme. Good subjects well tackled.

I shall be interested to see whether or not the legendary BBC even-handedness provides us with a sensible view of the Western Scotland Wildcat project (Wildcat Haven), though - the first programme suggests not....

John

Nothing wrong with today's programme. Good subjects well tackled.

I shall be interested to see whether or not the legendary BBC even-handedness provides us with a sensible view of the Western Scotland Wildcat project (Wildcat Haven), though - the first programme suggests not....

John

What do you consider a sensible view? I am curious as I thought the wildcat section was one of the more interesting features on tonight's show.

What do you consider a sensible view? I am curious as I thought the wildcat section was one of the more interesting features on tonight's show.

I did too, but given the existence of the Wildcat Haven project (which is separate from the captive animal project being led by ZSL Scotland or whatever they now call themselves) I was mildly surprised to find the BBC reporting exclusively on the latter. Not what I would call even-handedness: and considering how hard the BBC works to ensure absolute loonies get an equal opportunity with rational people in every other circumstance, I have to wonder if there is something political going on.

Put it this way: if I didn't know from other sources about Wildcat Haven - which includes important factors such as neutering feral and domestic cats in the Highlands - I damn sure wouldn't have found out from Winterwatch. And captive breeding will achieve nothing without a programme to remove feral and domestic cats from the Highland cat breeding population, so what WH are doing is either an essential precursor or the essential complement to anything ZSLSc do. Why the suppression?

John

John

Last edited:
I did too, but given the existence of the Wildcat Haven project (which is separate from the captive animal project being led by ZSL Scotland or whatever they now call themselves) I was mildly surprised to find the BBC reporting exclusively on the latter. Not what I would call even-handedness: and considering how hard the BBC works to ensure absolute loonies get an equal opportunity with rational people in every other circumstance, I have to wonder if there is something political going on.

Put it this way: if I didn't know from other sources about Wildcat Haven - which includes important factors such as neutering feral and domestic cats in the Highlands - I damn sure wouldn't have found out from Winterwatch. And captive breeding will achieve nothing without a programme to remove feral and domestic cats from the Highland cat breeding population, so what WH are doing is either an essential precursor or the essential complement to anything ZSLSc do. Why the suppression?

John

John

Oh right ok, so Wildcat Haven are actually offering a solution to the exact issues that Winterwatch was raising. So you're absolutely right, it is strange that they're leaving that out. Perhaps the feature is ongoing and that will be brought in at a later date? We'll wait and see.

Perhaps someone In the know or with contacts,could raise the Issue with the Winter Watch team.Finding out more about Wildcat Haven would be brilliant.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back