• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Skylarks (1 Viewer)

chris3871

Explorer Extraordinaire
Sorry to start yet another thread, seems like there's tonnes on the go at the moment, but I thought some might want to know what I found. I think its interesting at least.Today I've been rotivating, ready to put some wildbird crop on the set aside. Saw a lot of the wagtails and a lot of thrushes following me eating all the worms brought up to the surface.

Anyway this afternoon I've been down in one of my favourite fields where there's a sort of big flint covered slope, covered in weeds and grass and the likes. I saw the lapwings who i think have eggs and a chick somewhere, i was watching out with eyes peeled so as not to run them over! (Thankfully not)
What I did find though was a Skylark nest. I marked it with a pile of stones and rotivated round it, and I'll be able to keep an eye on their progress. The nests are so well hidden it is unbelieveable! They had four pepper coloured eggs in a very light grass lined dimple. My dad said he's only ever seen one in his entire life, and he's been at the game a long time, so it was a good find. I will take a camera next time i'm down there. Don't want to disturb them, but they didn't seem to bothered.

Chow for now,

Hi Chris

Hope you haven't being working too hard. A real nice find and good to hear you went to so much trouble to protect the birds.
I will look forward to seeing the photo and I am sure no one need be concerned about you disturbing the nest.
Not too many Skylarks about around here never mind finding a nest. Although I did see a few in Teesdale on my walk at the weekend.

Cya

Hi Chris,

Nice find. Please be very careful about approoaching the nest, don't take any chance on spooking the adults, Skylarks are another of our declining species. Good thought to mark the area but not too close.

Bill.

Hi Chris,

What a find! I've never heard of anyone seeing one. Terry was always coming across Lapwings nests and doing as you did in marking them so no harm came to them. Great news and good luck with the set aside and wild Bird crop - hope you suckseed. o:D

Sue.

Well, it's pretty much TWO years on and this week I've been doing the exact same job on the exact same patch of land. This time I've not found any skylark nests despite taking maximum care. I saw plently of adult birds, busy feeding behind the tractor so I'm guessing they've had the sense to nest in the longer grass.

Just dug this up really because I wanted to tell you about another bird that I spotted on the job. Down in the same area I saw a pair of yellow wagtails busy feeding through the heat of the day, gathering mouthfuls of flies and what-have-you and shipping it across to a grassy patch on the other side of the valley. Fingers crossed the yellow wags will have a nest across there, which is a nice breeding bird to have on the farm.

This area is also the same area we sometimes get quail. Not heard anything of it yet, but usually don't till a little later in the year. I'll need to be down there on an evening too.

Not really getting a lot of birding done at the minute, but I'm always on the look out whilst working. Hope this is of some interest to you, I'll keep you updated if anything else unusual crops up.

Ciao for now,

Hi Chris,

Too darn right it's of interest as it's so different from the norm. I though it was great news of the Yellow Wags and really do hope you get to see something more positive as well as possibly some youngsters later!

You had me puzzled a bit though as I was just about to hit the reply button .... and saw my name there already!!! I thought I was losing it (now, now Bill!!) as I couldn't remember replying about the topic little over a week ago!:eek!: TWO years ago eh!

Keep working hard and telling us of your finds please Chris, it's so good to learn of something so different. Thanks so much and I do hope you're fortunate with the Yellows and are able to update us.

Thanks Chris,

Sue

Hi Chris,

I'm with Sue on this one (as if I would Sue), always interesting to hear about the slightly more unusual birds; haven't seen a Yellow Wagtail for years.

Interesting that you say that you've still got plenty of Skylarks, I went through the usual local 'Skylark area' a couple of weeks back and would have expected at least half a dozen singing birds; I saw/heard 2! As they should be on second broods now I'll give it another go presently.

Bill.

I concurr with Sue and Bill. An excellent thread. I remember it from the first time round. Time does narf fly.

Can't remember the last time I saw a Yellow Wagtail in the UK so as you say an excellent find on the farm.

I 've noted lots of Skylarks around this area during spring and I'm hoping that is a sign that they are picking up in numbers.

I don't want to drag you into work talk, but I'd be interested to know how the disappearance of grants for set aside might affect farms like yours Chris, as I remember that was an important issue for you. Anyway, I am off to Hungry tonight so will think of you at work on my travels.

Take care......or prhaps that ought to be Ciao. ;-)

Just back from a week on Exmoor and am delighted to report that the Skylark is alive and well over there. Every time we stopped the car out on the moors, they were there. Difficult to say numbers, but at one or two locations, possibly 20 or more at a time. Didn't come across a nest though....

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back