• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

crossblll, Yorks (1 Viewer)

davpen

I'd be interested in any opinions on this crossbill, taken in Yorkshire last month. Is the bill within the range of Common?

Cheers,

David

Attachments

• crossbill17Oct19.jpg
    crossbill17Oct19.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 209
The thing I'd worry about is if the camera had caught the bird at the exact point that it had openned/closed it's bill, as this can sometimes make a bird's bill look the wrong shape. So other pics of the same bird could dismiss that worry.

The thing I'd worry about is if the camera had caught the bird at the exact point that it had openned/closed it's bill, as this can sometimes make a bird's bill look the wrong shape. So other pics of the same bird could dismiss that worry.

That won't change the shape of the bird or the apparent thickness of it's neck Larry?

Agree looks good for Parrot Xbill. The bill looks fully closed to me - if it was open wide enough to affect its apparent shape, you'd be able to see sky between the mandibles.

Agree looks good for Parrot Xbill. The bill looks fully closed to me - if it was open wide enough to affect its apparent shape, you'd be able to see sky between the mandibles.

I didn't mean that at all. I meant that sometimes that sometimes a camera will capture the bill as it moves and make it look bigger. It can be extreme, eg there was a pic of a Moorhen on here once with a bill about twice as long as it really was, just because it was moving it's head.

Point taken Larry, but I got a handful of other shots at the same time, and all show the bill as on this one. As it happens, it's only in the last few days that I've got round to looking at them properly. Anyway, regarding the size and shape, it's good to know it's not just me.

I should add here that this was one of two birds, and our attention was first drawn to them when we heard crossbill flight calls, albeit rather unusual-sounding ones (this being commented upon at the time). We had a sound recorder running, and it managed to pick the calls up. See https://www.xeno-canto.org/504233

The problem is that as well as sounding quite unusual for Common, they aren't really like typical Parrot either(?). Then again, we can't even be absolutely certain that the calls were emanating from the bird in the pic.

Point taken Larry, but I got a handful of other shots at the same time, and all show the bill as on this one. As it happens, it's only in the last few days that I've got round to looking at them properly. Anyway, regarding the size and shape, it's good to know it's not just me.

I should add here that this was one of two birds, and our attention was first drawn to them when we heard crossbill flight calls, albeit rather unusual-sounding ones (this being commented upon at the time). We had a sound recorder running, and it managed to pick the calls up. See https://www.xeno-canto.org/504233

The problem is that as well as sounding quite unusual for Common, they aren't really like typical Parrot either(?). Then again, we can't even be absolutely certain that the calls were emanating from the bird in the pic.

Cool, looks good to me too then :t:. Unless they're Scottish Crossbill:-O

Cool, looks good to me too then :t:. Unless they're Scottish Crossbill:-O

Don't laugh Larry, I was just about to suggest comparing the call to that species!

Given the location 'North' and that birds with the same bill shape / size as Scotbill have been trapped in Derbyshire, it needs to be ruled out?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back