• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

feeling strong? Tair 300mm f4.5 on E510 (1 Viewer)

Mad_Sunday

Hi, I have managed to get a Tair 300mm lens stuck onto my E510. Only had chance to give it a quick test in fading light. Looks like I got the focus a little close (wing not head) and with the aperture wide open the DoF is a little too shallow? Hoping to try it out properly soon.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mad_sunday/3750453632/

Pete

p.s. picture of the camera/lens and other manual lens stuff on my flickr stream here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mad_sunday/

Last edited:
Pete,
Interesting looking lens. However, I am kind of wondering why you are using these lenses. If you are just experimenting and seeing what you can get with them, I understand. But for the size of these lenses like the Tair and that Soligor 75-260, you don't get much capability, seems to me.

What I mean is that not only do you not have auto-focus, of course, but also neither of these lenses gives more reach than the modern Olympus 70-300, and they're about twice the size. And they don't even give a larger aperture, except the Tair would be a constant aperature, being a prime lens. I don't know what the maximum aperture is on the Soligor, but I doubt if it is faster than F4.

I have an E-520, and just about the only old lens I have left over from my film DSLR days that I USE is a 50mm 1.4, which can be useful because of the 1.4. Otherwise, looking at my old 300mm el-cheapo, 70-200 Vivitar and 100-300 Vivitar, somehow I don't see any use for them, considering the ability of the Oly 70-300.

I did buy an old Vivitar 120-600 from a guy on FourthirdsPhoto forum (only about $200!). It is huge and heavy and manual focus, but hey, it's 600mm! For that kind of magnification, the weight and size are worth it.

Anyway, if you are just fooling around, go for it, but if you are taking some pictures of birds that you want to be as good as possible and want to keep, I'd strongly advise spending the money for an Oly 70-300 (only about $350).

Rich

Last edited:
Cost alone Rich!

The Oly 70-300 costs about 7 times what I paid for the Tair and at 300mm the Tair lets in 4 times as much light (1 f stop). The Oly is about Forty (yes 40) times the price of the soligor 75-260 f4.5. (This is f4.5 at ALL focal lengths!)

I have also got a 1.8x tele converter for £8, not sure how much it will degrade the image tho'

Oh and I enjoy a challenge :) If I get good results thats all the better. Since I started using old primes (135 or 200mm) I have had far better results than I had with the kit 40-150. So much so, I sold it.

If I was going to buy another Olympus AF lens it would have to be the 50-200, now that is a nice lens........but wow it's expensive :) and it needs a tele converter to get more reach.

Pete

Last edited:
Had a play today but still hand held. Need to get in a hide and support it better to try and lose the shakes :)

Put a few more shots on my Flickr page too.

I realise I'm never going to get "top quality" images, but thats like trying to re-invent the wheel. There are plenty of fantastic photo's in books and on on-line albums (the one on this site for instance) that I could never dream of bettering, but I'm having fun :)

Pete

Last edited:
I agree with you on that, Pete. I gave up photography for 20 years (digital got me interested again) because I would look at a $10 bird calendar and realize that it had better pictures than I would EVER take, so what was the point?!? After I got back into photography with digital, I realized that what's important is to get the best pictures YOU can get, try to improve, and, as you said, have fun. I even advise people (and myself) to not enter photography contests, because it is a slippery slope where you are feeling competitive and then discouraged and then not having fun anymore.

Hi Rich, I know what you mean regarding competitions, people just get too involved in trying to be "the best". I think we all agree once the fun has gone, what's the point.

Do you still have the Vivitars? Don't dismiss them out of hand (although I had one of the later Vivitar, Minolta fit, 70-200 Auto focus lenses that was crap!) as some of the earlier models are quite sort after. Take a look at this site and you may be able to find your lenses and who made them. Vivitar along with Soligor and others sold lenses made by some of the great (and not so great) names in the lens world.

http://www.cameraquest.com/VivLensManuf.htm

I have a "Kiron" made Vivitar (75-205 macro) and the "same" lens was sold by several companies including Kiron themselves. The Kiron name was held in high regard and sell for a premium on eBay. The Vivitars etc. can go for peanuts!

Pete

Interesting info about the Vivitar lenses, Pete. I'll check the ones I have, once I remember exactly which closet they're buried in!

I do know that my 120-600 is extremely sharp. I have a "dandelion" chip adapter for it and it's a good thing because I cannot distinguish its results from that of my Oly 70-300, except that the EXIF shows a focal length of 500 (what I have it set at) for the Vivitar.

After giving the Tair lens a much needed clean, I managed a few shots from a hide today. Still hand held (and with the 1.85X converter attached) but resting the lens hood (drain plunger!) on the hide opening. I'm awaiting a tripod 3/8 to 1/4 thread adapter so hopefully I can try it from a nice steady mount soon. 1100mm EFL takes a bit of steadying ;)

Considering the cost outlay, I'm encouraged with todays efforts from about 20-25yards.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2161/3840868710_b4cc60bff3.jpg

A couple more on my flicker stream linked above.

Pete

Last edited:
Interesting info about the Vivitar lenses, Pete. I'll check the ones I have, once I remember exactly which closet they're buried in!

I do know that my 120-600 is extremely sharp. I have a "dandelion" chip adapter for it and it's a good thing because I cannot distinguish its results from that of my Oly 70-300, except that the EXIF shows a focal length of 500 (what I have it set at) for the Vivitar.
I just noticed this comment. If your MF 120-600mm lens gives results that are indistinguishable from your AF 70-300mm lens, why bother with it? Do you mean you're using the 70-300 with a TC?

Nice picture, even though it come out somewhat dark on my monitor

Niels

I used spot metering to get the feather detail. White objects (such as this birds breast) seem to over expose quite often otherwise. The image can easily be lightend with GIMP/photoshop but I wanted to show it as is.

Pete

Well I have now sold this lens, it was an interesting experience learning how to use it on a DSLR. I'm still awaiting the arrival of a converter to suit my "new" lens (long story) and hope to post some results soon.
I began by expecting some difficulties (there were several) and was hopeful of some successes (there were many). All in all, I really enjoyed using it.

Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back