• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dalian (Jinshitan) Birding Reports (2 Viewers)

Forgot the list! Nothing fancy. Of note, not one raptor today.

Common Pheasant
Whooper Swan -- migrating Vs
Ruddy Shelduck
Gadwall
Falcated Duck
Eurasian Wigeon
Mallard
Spot-billed Duck
Northern Pintail
Eurasian Teal
Common Goldeneye
Smew
Red-breasted Merganser
Black-tailed Gull
Mongolian Gull
Vega Gull
Oriental Turtle Dove
Great Tit
Coal Tit
Vinous-throated Parrotbill
Daurian Redstart
Oriental Greenfinch
Yellow-throated Bunting
Meadow Bunting
Pallas's Reed Bunting

Watched a male Daurian Redstart show a female a potential nesting place inside a crack on a rock face. Not quite like a bird of paradise but the same idea on a smaller scale. The male would go in and out frantically while the female checked it out from a few close perches. I got a decent video of the male in action. The female pictured was the one being entertained.

Very interesting observation! If you are putting the video anywhere - would you post a link? (I had no idea that would be a good nesting spot for redstarts.)

Gretchen, how do I post a video? I've never done it.

Spike, I also heard about a certain "guranteed bird" at Yeyahu as well?

Supposed to hit 10 degrees here tomorrow. All the ponds here are still frozen. The main river channels are thawed though.

Tom, I'm no expert, but I guess just go to Birdforum tv here , sign in and add it (unless you wanted it on UTube or something). Wish I was taking interesting videos and knew more of the process ;)

Haha, yes. isn't it always the way, travel to the frozen wastes of outer Dalian to see a Long-tailed Rosefinch and next thing you know, one turns up in your back garden, as it were.

Yeyahu partly unfrozen yesterday and packed with swans, geese and ducks. First Lapwing back so spring is here !

Tom

The pic of migrating swans is amazing - what a sight!

I wonder if your tamer duck winter in HK at Mai Po? If so you could look out for Pintail and Wigeon with a radio-tracking antenna and the Green Winged Teal that popped up a couple of weeks ago - one bird flew over the Dalian peninsula in April 2010.

See this link for more detailed info: http://www.werc.usgs.gov/Project.aspx?ProjectID=37

and finally . . . posting on YouTube is a bit tedious , but the steps are easy to follow.

Cheers
Mike

Terry, I can guarantee (The Dong Bei Guarantee!!) a Black-faced Spoonbill if you want to take the time to ferry to Shicheng Island. There's a small island off of that island where 4-5 pairs breed every year along with thousands of gulls, a few cormorants, and possibly some egrets as well. It would be an all day trip. (1.5 hour car ride, time trying to figure out a ferry to the island, negotiating a boat from there, etc....definantly an experience.) The island is quite famous for bird photographers and the last time I was there, I saw a few lenses that almost needed their own boat to carry. I'll attach a picture of a spoonbill nest on the island.

Or we can just hope for one in the ponds!

The ole "Dong Bei Guarantee".... never let me down yet! ;)

Shicheng Island sounds like a must-see.. you can reassure the local boatmen that they won't need a separate boat for my modest lens.. but size isn't everything (apparently) :t:

Sea-farming Ponds March 12, 2011

The Upland Buzzard photographed was the same beautiful adult I saw take a duck last Wednesday. It wouldn't turn its head for the photo.

Saw my first Wagtail and a few Grey Herons today -- spring is on the way.

Common Pheasant
Whooper Swan -- same one. Glad its sticking around so long.
Common Shelduck
Ruddy Shelduck
Gadwall
Mallard
Spot-billed Duck
Eurasian Teal
Common Goldeneye
Smew
Common Merganser
Red-breasted Merganser
Great-crested Grebe
Grey Heron (FOS)
Eurasian Kestrel
Eurasian Sparrowhawk
Northern Goshawk
Upland Buzzard
Black-tailed Gull
Vega Gull
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Great Tit
Naumann's Thrush
Daurian Redstart (same male as the video mentioned above in the same area, no female. Poor guy:-C)
White Wagtail (FOS)
Long-tailed Rosefinch
Yellow-throated Bunting
Meadow Bunting
Pallas's Reed Bunting

Attachments

• Pallas's Reed Bunting.jpg
    Pallas's Reed Bunting.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 49
  • Upland Buzzard.jpg
    Upland Buzzard.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 62
  • White Wagtail.jpg
    White Wagtail.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Whooper Swan.jpg
    Whooper Swan.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 39
Sea-farming Ponds March 19, 2011

Early morning trip this morning.

Common Pheasant
Whooper Swans -- 5
Common Shelduck
Ruddy Shelduck
Gadwall
Falcated Duck
Eurasian Wigeon
Mallard
Spot-billed Duck
Baikal Teal -- 1 female
Eurasian Teal
Little Grebe
Grey Heron
Eurasian Kestrel
Common Buzzard
Black-tailed Gull
Vega Gull
Common Hoopoe (FOS)
Chinese Grey Shrike (got a video of it calling)
Great Tit
White-cheeked Starling
White Wagtail
Buff-bellied Pipit
Oriental Greenfinch
Little Bunting
Rustic Bunting
Yellow-throated Bunting
Pallas's Reed Bunting

Attachments

• Common Buzzard.jpg
    Common Buzzard.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 57
  • Pallas's Reed Bunting 1.jpg
    Pallas's Reed Bunting 1.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Pallas's Reed Bunting 2.jpg
    Pallas's Reed Bunting 2.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 45
  • Whooper Swans.jpg
    Whooper Swans.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 41
Country Club March 19, 2011

Decided it was getting to that time of year when the Country Club starts producing again. Went with my daughter for most of the afternoon. She is 6 and now has a pair of binoculars! Not disappointed with a group of 4 Hawfinch -- never seen them there before. Also a group of Thrushes 30 strong or more. All Naumann's except for one Dusky. The Naumann's were 100% Naumann's -- check out the photo.

Mallard
Spot-billed Ducks
Eurasian Sparrowhawk
Great-spotted Woodpecker
Great Tit
Coal Tit
Naumann's Thrush
Dusky Thrush
White Wagtail
Oriental Greenfinch
Hawfinch
Rustic Bunting
Yellow-throated Bunting

Attachments

• Hawfinch.jpg
    Hawfinch.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 44
  • Naumann's Thrush.jpg
    Naumann's Thrush.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Rustic Bunting.jpg
    Rustic Bunting.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 47
Country Club March 20, 2011

Returned today with my daughter. Wanted a picture of Hawfinch in good lighting but overcast again today. Very warm at 7-8 degrees. List was exactly the same except for some Brambling and the group of Hawfinch is up to 7 now. Also sustitute a Common Buzzard for the Sparrowhawk.

Stopped by the ocean on the way home to find a large amount of some kind of polluted liquid being directly pumped in. I believe it was waste water from a factory nearby. I took a picture of a Black-tailed Gull standing in the middle of it -- see below. It had a horrible smell. This is the same bay that produces most of Jinshitan's thriving sea-food industry.

Some Goldeneye, a group of Red-breasted Mergansers, and a tree full of Greenfinches rounded out the afternoon.

Attachments

• Black-tailed Gull.jpg
    Black-tailed Gull.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Common Buzzard.jpg
    Common Buzzard.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 50
  • Red-breasted Merganser.jpg
    Red-breasted Merganser.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 44
Nice sightings and some nice pics! I like the buzzard and magpies - looks kind of peaceful (almost like he's one of the gang), but I assume there was some noise or action?

Large flock of Naumann's seems pretty interesting too. Indeed, very orange! I haven't really heard the Dusky's calling - I think they're supposed to be different than Naumann's? Do you have any experience on that?

All in all some nice birds for you this weekend.

Sea-farming Ponds March 21, 2011

Very quick trip out to the ponds after work. Highlight was a female Baikal Teal, always good to get here. Distant pics today except for the swans. I worry about the swans staying around so long as they are a litle too tame for this area of the world. Hope they don't end up in someone's soup.

Sad looking list:

Whooper Swan
Ruddy Shelduck
Common Shelduck
Mallard
Spot-billed Duck
Gadwall
Falcated Duck
Eurasian Wigeon
Baikal Teal -- 1 female
Smew
Black-tailed Gull
Vega Gull
Great Tit
White Wagtail
Pallas's Reed Bunting

Attachments

• Baikal Teal.jpg
    Baikal Teal.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Smew.jpg
    Smew.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Whooper Swan.jpg
    Whooper Swan.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 40
Female Baikal Teals are always satisfying to find, if not as stunning as the males - you're having some great birding right now Tom!

Cheers
Mike

Country Club March 22, 2011

Quick trip today before dark. Spent some time with the large group of Dusky, Naumann's, and mixtures of the two.

Common Pheasant
Mallard
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Naumann's Thrush
Dusky Thrush
White Wagtail
Oriental Greenfinch
Brambling
Rustic Bunting
Yellow-throated Bunting

Attachments

• Dusky Thrush.jpg
    Dusky Thrush.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Naumann's Thrush.jpg
    Naumann's Thrush.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Naumann's X Dusky.jpg
    Naumann's X Dusky.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 52
  • Oriental Greenfinch.jpg
    Oriental Greenfinch.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 47
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back