• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

On The Marsh. (1 Viewer)

Ruth Daniel

I wrote this passage after a walk last week. The birds are not all named as I was trying to depict the grey and gloom of the day.

Water was seeping noisily away into the saturated boggy ground and dirty puddles oozed slowly out of the muddy weedy verges.

Wildfowl appeared as dark silhouettes upon the grey cold water,occasionally rising in a flurry of feathers,dripping droplets from flashing wings beating increasingly faster as they rose from the surface only to land a few yards further on.
Webbed feet braking their clumsy performances while indignant quacks at their disturbance pierced the cold air.

A startled Heron rose with a harsh squawk from a ditch in the field alongside,large wings struggling to gain enough lift in the still of the morning as he dragged long trailing legs behind,he settled further on with a tremble of feathers and a flick of his crest.

Busy Waders of various shapes and sizes all knee deep in the muddy margins scurried around in their incessant search for food,a squabble causing wings and feet to be waved at various close encounters before their wanderings separated them again.

A large flock of twittering Finches flitted across our path and descended haphazardly onto the huge brown seed heads that cover large parts of the marsh, their gold and red colours only becoming visible from closer inspections as we continued slowly on our way.

Attachments

• Frodsham no 6 tank.JPG
    Frodsham no 6 tank.JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 18
A perfect description of what many of us encounter at this time of year!

A well written passage, thanks for sharing your thoughts, Ruth!

PS: A super pic too!:t:

Beautifully written reflective journal Ruth.
You have a wonderfully creative mind, well done.

Thanks so much everyone.
I can't paint at the moment so am painting with words instead!
Bill there are more writings in my blog.....just click the link under my signature.;)

Nice one Ruth.

I think writing down your thoughts and experiences this way helps you in the longer term to notice even more. Painting has the same effect and I think we can paint with words. I've been rather tempted to take on a writing course you know.

Thanks very much Roy,Rose,Val and Brian!
A good point you make about observation Brian........go on,have a go at the writing course!:t:

That is a super piece of writing Ruth and you don't need to ID the birds for us to know what you are writing about!! The photo matches the text perfectly!!:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back