• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gill Osborne's 2008 List (1 Viewer)

Gill Osborne

Tuesday, January 1st
Living Room Window

1: Blue Tit

Family popped around early and stayed ALL DAY!!!! :C Combined with very wet, murky & windy conditions - not a good birding day!

But hey, onwards and upwards - got to get better after today ;) :-O

Wednesday, 2nd January

Day Two and still progressing slowly,very slowly!!! :-O

At work this morning and didn't escape until almost 2pm and then Neil dragged me off to IKEA :eek!: Managed a few birds on the drive down the A1 whilst Himself drove! ;)

2: Blackbird
3: Feral Pigeon
4: Grey Heron
5: Rook
6: Kestrel
7: Black-headed Gull
8: Starling
9: Magpie

Dipped on a Barn Owl which flew over our car as we were driving home!!! We had a few bits of flatpack furniture stretching from the back seat through to my front seat so I was squashed into the back behind Neil's driver's seat - hence HE saw the bird and I didn't! :storm:

Last edited:
Thursday, 3rd January

Neil needed to go into Ashington and then Newcastle to pick up a few things so I picked up a few more birds on the way.

10: Wood Pigeon
11: Mallard
12: Dunnock
13: Common Gull
14: Coot

Sunday, 6th January
Alnwick

15: Jackdaw
16: Robin
17: House Sparrow

Visiting friends this afternoon so hoping to pick up a few birds on the 13-mile drive, a few from their bird feeders and, hopefully, a Barn Owl or two on the way back as they're fairly common around there.

Sunday, 6th January...continued...
Powburn, N'land

Visiting friends between 2pm - 4.45pm and had a fairly good day. As well as copious amounts of tea and jaffa cakes we had a walk out to a nearby stand of conifers and over a few fields. The expected species were about on their feeders and I was thrilled to bits to catch up with the target species *Barn Owl* directly in front of their cottage as it hunted along the overgrown edges of the surrounding fields. Didn't see a single one in 2007 so was determined to get one under my belt ASAP in 2008! ;)

18: Pheasant
19: Carrion Crow
20: Coal Tit
21: Great Tit
22: Greenfinch
23: Chaffinch
24: Goldfinch
25: Goldcrest
26: Barn Owl

Also had a fabulous skein of geese flying overhead as we were out walking - probably Greylags heading towards the ponds behind Branton Village but not 100% on the species.

Last edited:
Thursday, 10th January
Alnwick

29: Collared Dove

Off out soon despite pouring rain so hopefully add to the List as the day goes on ;)......

Thursday, 10th January
Boulmer, N'land

By 1pm the rain had stopped, the sun had come out. Only downside was the fact that the wind had got up again and was was rather icy and gale-force. Still a fabulously invigorating walk out.

30: Ringed Plover
31: Herring Gull
32: Eider
33: Turnstone
34: Redshank
35: Oystercatcher
36: Lapwing
37: Curlew
38: Great Black-backed Gull
39: Red-breasted Merganser ~ 3 males on sea with group of Mallards
40: Stonechat

Thursday, 17th January

42: Mute Swan

Still only managing to add to the Year List very slowly - partly because I'm still without a decent pair of bins and partly because work is taking up so much time!
Only two more days to go before I have a week off work - got a few places to visit and birds to go for pencilled into the diary ;)

Tuesday, 22nd January
River Coquet, outside Warkworth

43: Wigeon
44: Goldeneye
45: Teal
46: Cormorant
47: Goosander

Cresswell Pond

48: Little Grebe
49: Snipe
50: Tufted Duck
51: Golden Plover
52: Shelduck
53: Wren
54: Canada Goose
55: Greylag Goose

Druridge Bay

56: Shag
57: Sanderling

Cresswell Pond~again!

58: Shoveler

Widdrington Inn

59: Fieldfare ~ 100's in trees!

East Chevington

60: Moorhen

Also did Amble Harbour but still no sign of any divers :-C LOADS last time I was there!!!!! Darn birds keep moving around....how dare they!!! ;) Couple of the male Eiders in the harbour were starting to make their distinctive 'cooing' song to the nearby females.

Not a bad day out considering it's my first 'proper' day's birding of 2008. Rather quiet along Druridge area with most places just having same old species....wigeon, teal,lapwing etc.
Still nice to get out in the fresh air (especially after yesterday's crazy weather ;)) - just wish my bad neck would go away!!! Really felt it towards the end of the day at Easy Chevington and Amble Harbour.
Never mind....still got five days off to make up for lost time o:)

Wednesday, 23rd January
Short walk along the seafront at Alnmouth with Neil.

61: Rock Pipit
62: Peregrine Falcon :t:

Last edited:
Friday, 8th February
Alnwick Town Centre

Heard the first singing Blackbirds of the year at 7am :t:

Last edited:
Sunday, 10th February
Bolam Lake, Northumberland

68: Bullfinch
69: Nuthatch
70: Great Spotted Woodpecker

LOTS of activity with the birds today - Spring must be getting closer *already!* :t:
Glorious sunny day, not a cloud in the sky and not a breath of wind. Bolam was heaving with people and dogs and screaming kids!!! :-C

Last edited:
Friday, 22nd February
Pottergate, Alnwick

Heard the first Song Thrush singing at 5.30am as I walked to work. Very apt name of Storm Cock as it was blowing a gale and spitting on with rain! :-O

Saturday, 23rd February
Bailiffgate Court, Alnwick

First singing Greenfinch of 2008 heard :t: Always one of my favourite birds o:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back