• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding from the hip - Anthony McGeehan and the Sound Approach (1 Viewer)

James Lidster

This months Birdwatch has a free CD with some narrated exerts from the forthcoming Sound Approach book. The book itself i think will be available at the Bird Fair. Its really nice but different from the previous 2 offerings. It comprises many of AmcG's columns from Birdwatch and Dutch Birding, plus quite a few new stories. Some of which are also narrated by Anthony, or his wife, and include some stunning recordings (as would be expected from the Sound Approach). The layout and quality is the same as before, of a very high standard and the recordings really capture the atmosphere (the Cranes and Dupont's Lark recordings especially)
And im not on commission!
James

http://www.sunbirdtours.co.uk
http://jameslidster.web-log.nl/
http://picasaweb.google.com/lidstersunbird

James,

I am surprised you are not on some commission when the pre-publication offer is £25! Given it states the CDs are free why is a collection of previously published material in the price bracket of a half decent field guide. Bill Oddie's equivalent stuff was issued in paperback, which seemed appropriate for material that originally appeared in similar format.

Regards,

Stephen.

Hi Stephen
well im not involved with the sound approach, or their marketing. What i do know is is that its a nice book, with new stories, fantastic photographs and as i said before stunning recordings. Im afraid when i buy something i dont break down whether the CDs are stated as free, or whether the stories have been published somewhere before. I see £25, do i want it? can i afford it? and that is it?
I posted here to bring it to peoples attention, whether they buy it is up to them.
James

Hi James,

I know you aren't involved with the Sound Approach, the commission reference was light hearted.

I don't ordinarily break down whether CDs are free or not, this was explicitly mentioned on the website.

Yes, clearly it comes down to 'do I want it'? With pre-publication offers you don't have the benefit of looking at the book so I thought given it was clearly pricey that I would seek the views of someone who clearly had seen the book.

Regards,

Stephen.

[Edit - I may be wrong about that, having read your first post again it appears you haven't seen the book, just extracts I guess]

Hi Stephen
I do have a copy of the book and well i think its worth it. My memories of reading Anthonys articles in Birdwatch were always fond ones, and although i still have them in magazine form im enough of a geek to like them all in one book even more ; )
I often found his articles amusing and inspirational.
I must admit that its far from the 'new info' packed previous 2 books though. will be keen to hear what others think if they do buy it.
Cheers
James

Birding from the hip book

Well, I finally received a copy by post. Can't comment on the CDs as they were missing! Along with a magnifying glass to read the tiny print. I agree with Stephen: this doesn't warrant a £30 price tag when it would be half the size if there wasn't so much white space. (And it's an odd size that won't fit on any bookshelf.) Also, why include those spoof articles by "Mrs McGeehan", which always jarred? Still, I'm sure it made a lovely wedding anniversary present for her!
Sam

Just posted a review:

Review of Birding from the Hip

I've got to ask those familiar with his columns - are the ones from Mrs. McGeehan really written by his wife? Initially, I didn't question it, but as I was preparing the review I got to wondering. Above, Sam refers to them as spoofs, but other reviews I've read don't question it. Just curious.

Hi Grant
Yes, you're right to be curious. I do know that Anthony wrote the 'Mrs McGeehan' columns. Unfortunately, his attempts at humorous self-deprecation only succeeded in stereotyping women as being obsessed with housework, etc. I can't imagine any woman would be mad enough to marry an obsessive birder if she really dislikes birds so much!
Sam

Hi, as Sam says Mrs McGeehan (Mairead) did not write any of the passage's or whatever you want to call them ,although her name is attached to them. To confirm this the writing credits on the sleeves do not have her name either.Mr McGeehan you naughty cat!
This brings the book into the realms of fiction. Many of AMG's "stories" met with complete bewildement by birders/ex friends both in Northern Ireland (where he lives) and further afield.
I know of no birders in Northern Ireland who own this book or will admit to owning it.

derek

ps As a measure of what Mr McGeehan thinks of the book he has completely disowned it and will not promote it! (If you don't believe me contact The Sound Approach)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back