• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Swan (Stranraer) is it rare? (1 Viewer)

Claymore

Hi,
Not exactly a rare bird? but i have never seen one around here before.
Saw it on the beach at Stranraer (not far from the ferry port, Southwest Scotland) all black with white under its wings, with bright red bill? a real beauty.
Sorry not much more info but just curious as to how common they are up here?
Cheers B :)
Brian (Galloway, Southwest Scotland)
Ps please forgive my ignorance but haven't been doing this long and everyone has to start somewhere.

This bird has certainly escaped from a collection somewhere. Escapes like this crop up just about anywhere in the UK.

Cheers! thanks for the info, it certainly was a beautiful bird. I will go back and see if its still around maybe get a decent photograph (it was only 30ft from me)
Cheers
Brian

Claymore said:
Hi,

Ps please forgive my ignorance but haven't been doing this long and everyone has to start somewhere.

Welcome Claymore,yes,we all have to start somewhere and hopefully,you shall not be afraid to "ask and learn" such as your Black Swan thread.

It's probably the same one as was up here in Ayrshire a wee while back.
A nice change from the Mute, and a good one for your own photo records.

There used to be a couple on Larne lough (Northern Ireland). Larne lough is only a few miles from Stranraer. I'll try and find out if ours are still here.

Zek.

It seems that the 'Larne Lough' birds haven't been seen here for the last 3 or 4 years. They originally were given as a present to the late Mo Mowlam at Hillsborough Castle but when their primaries grew, they moved to Larne Lough. That seems to be the story anyway. They may not even be your birds anyway.

Zek.

If you check the one picture in my gallery you'll see one very much "wild" in the James River of Virginia, USA.

He was alone, but he could fly. I haven't seen him in two trips back to find it.

Maybe someone is seeding these beautiful birds across the world.

Black Swan

Of course you could come visit me in Western Australia and see ZILLIONS of them. Then again we have only one small population of Mute Swans, (originaly deliberately introduced I think). Tell you what, you send back our Black Swans, and you can come get all our foxes, starlings, rabbits and moggies!

Cheers - Maris

'Migrating' Black Swan?

Just wonder if the Stranraer Black Swan has moved up the west coast. I took a photograph of one on Sunday at the mouth of the River Doon at Ayr.

One has decided to take up residence on the grass in front of the car park at the Freiston Shore reserve, and likes to be an annoyance to the resident mallards. Wonder where this one came from?

Black Swan

Looking out of my window facing the River Weaver in Frodsham yesterday and saw a Black Swan, not sure if it was a cob or pen but alot smaller than the white swan it was pursuing. Appears to have left on Sunday.

Not a professional photographer but managed to capture a few photos which I will post.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

It is almost definitely an escape. there is one that flies between conway RSPB and the spinnes in wales.:t:

BirderBoy :hippy: peace

Interesting that in the UK people collect Black Swans, and here in W.A. there a scattered ornamental populations of introduced Mute Swans.

I think I like the Black Swan better, that candy red bill and the curly white feathers on the wingtips are beautiful.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back