• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camoulflaging a lens. (1 Viewer)

What's the best way to camoulflage a Canon F/5.6 L 400mm lens.
glad you brought the subject up geoff.
its not so much camouflage with me...but how to protect the camera and lens..waterproof wise..(both would be great!!!)
in the past i have always carried a bin bag with me to cover equipment quickly before storing away,in the event of showers..
As i nearly always wander around now with the camera and the same lens as yours, any ideas would be great..as some have been already!..:t:

glad you brought the subject up geoff.
its not so much camouflage with me...but how to protect the camera and lens..waterproof wise..(both would be great!!!)
in the past i have always carried a bin bag with me to cover equipment quickly before storing away,in the event of showers..
As i nearly always wander around now with the camera and the same lens as yours, any ideas would be great..as some have been already!..:t:

My high tech solution to the weather thing is clear rubbish bags and elastic bands - leave the open end of the bag around your lens-hood, secured with an elastic band and you can still even use the camera through the plastic bag. Keep a few bags and bands in a pocket on the outside of your camera bag. Get big enough bags and they can be used to cover your bag too.

I always carry shower caps in my camera bag, for protecting the camera (350D). These are just the freebies available in most hotel rooms. Simply wrap the cap over the camera, and if needed, tear a small hole to peer through the view finder.

pimp my lens

And those scratches, well after all its a tool of the trade not some macho piece of posturing jewellery as some would suggest!

You mean you haven't turned your lens hood into a bass-tube and added the chrome foot? I am just saving for the faux diamond-grill style switches and tinted glass...

It is also worth noting that many birds/creatures that won't allow you close when you are quiet and camouflaged are quite happy for you drive up close in a brightly coloured noisy car.

Yeah! What is up with that! So peculiar! I have no trouble at all getting close to birds in the car but as soon as you try and get out it is bye bye birdie!

Hello Geoff
Well I certainly would not go to the expense of buying a lens cover. My wife and I made up a removable cover fixed with velro made from camo cloth that you can easily buy from any habereashery store. I will be using this method when I buy my new 300 f2.8 at the moment I have the 100-400 & 300f4, it slips on and off in seconds.

I was amazed to see a photograph of one our well known local birdwatcher using such a cover for his 300 f2.8 I could not believe he was wearing a white base ball hat...when I pointed that out to my friend, he said, he always wears that hat. But I can tell you, this chap is just wonderful, does not miss a thing so perhaps wearing white hat does the business for him. I would think the only good thing having a lens fitted with a lens coat would protect it from any minor scratches but that depends on the individual all my gear is kept in mint conditon and treated with respect.

Regards

Roy.

I bet you get a lot of salutes, or thank-you for your service, or thank-you very much for killing people to protect my freedoms even though I didn't ask ya to, war monger! :-O

My wife and I made up a removable cover fixed with velro made from camo cloth that you can easily buy from any habereashery store. I will be using this method when I buy my new 300 f2.8 at the moment I have the 100-400 & 300f4, it slips on and off in seconds.

Hey, Roy, your photo in your post looks vaguely familiar - http://www.outerbanksguidebook.com/CameraCover.htm

Homemade can work great. The one I made was for my 75-300 IS. I plan to do something similar, but simplier, for the 500mm IS coming the day after tomorrow. Should be easier since the zoom is internal and the lens doesn't rotate or move out (if I understand correctly about the primes - I'll see soon enough).
Fred

i think i will stick with the bin bag method for protecting the gear..quick and easy..(thanks for the elastic band tip! brill...untill i can store it away)
walking around with the 400mm 5.6. will always draw attention..being the colour it is...(as i have found since getting the lens...2 months ago)
but its great for people to come up ask about what you are doing..ive found out a lot more local info. from people interested ..and willing to listen...and met a few other b.f. members this way..
as for the birds.....unless you are on a stake out..on your belly so to speak.. it would not matter...any disturbance would be felt first, not the camera or lens..
at this sort of distance..
some i feel go to extreme methods to blend in!..:-O
its not for me...but everyone to their own..

Last edited:
The reason that canon paint their big lenses with the whitish colour is to reflect heat and keep the optics cool, I normally just drape a bit of scrim netting over mine, seems to work quite well.

The reason that canon paint their big lenses with the whitish colour is to reflect heat and keep the optics cool, I normally just drape a bit of scrim netting over mine, seems to work quite well.

You live and learn. I thought it was so Canon got free advertising from all those distinctive white lenses on the sidelines at sporting events.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back