• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 70-300 DO lens (1 Viewer)

tringbirds

I am still looking to buy a travel lens!! Does anybody use a Canon 70-300 DO lens and how do they rate it. Reviews from the net suggest it is a good travel lens but some problems with lens flare. Any comments would be very helpful. Thank you

I'd agree with that. Yes it's a good travel lens but is useless more wide angle. Also consider the 28-300 Canon lens. Don't like this lens myself for more reasons than I care to mention but a friend of mine thinks the world of his. Depends what your budget is though. If you have a £1000 budget, I think I'd be looking at a Canon 17-85 IS (competent if not overwhelming lens) and adding a Sigma 70-200 2.8 - nice lens, not quite as good as the Canon equivalent but still very good, and a 1.4x TC. That lot should set you back around a grand or so.
Your option, the Canon 70-300. I've never used one, or seen one for that matter so can't offer an opinion on it but it gets 8/10 on FredMiranda - some complaints about build quality and distortion at zoom extremes but otherwise looks good.

I am still looking to buy a travel lens!! Does anybody use a Canon 70-300 DO lens and how do they rate it. Reviews from the net suggest it is a good travel lens but some problems with lens flare. Any comments would be very helpful. Thank you

When travelling (including a safari in South Africa) I use a Canon 17mm-85mm IS lens, and a Canon 70mm-200mm f4 L lens, and a 1.4 converter. That takes me from 17mm -280mm. I bought the 70mm-200mm lens before the IS version became available. If you can afford the latter, all the better.

Thank you for your replies. I keep erring towards the 70-200 option with a 1.4, but it is the combination of weight, (scope,tripod etc), when travelling with some of the budget airlines that unfortunately I have to travel with on the trip through S.Amer. NowI have narrowed it down to a couple of lens I am going to test then out at the nearest Canon Pro centre. Thanks everybody.

I use the 70-300DO lens, its a cracker,the results I have had are top rate, you MUST use the lens hood and you will need to up the contrast a little.
If for some reason I lost or damaged mine I would get another without any hesitation.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back