• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olympus 8x25 WP II? (1 Viewer)

Peter Audrain

Consummate Indoorsman
I've posted in the Vortex and Minox forums asking about compact binoculars from those manufacturers, but there is no Olympus forum. So, to all and sundry:

Do you know anything about the Olympus 8x25 WP IIs? I can't work out whether they would be at least somewhat satisfying as lightweight commuting binoculars (for my rounds, on foot and by train, to and from work, when generally I have quite a lot of stuff already—books, papers, a laptop, possibly a lunch—and don't want to be weighed down). Or whether they would only feel like unloved, barely serviceable el cheapos:

https://www.olympus.co.uk/site/en/b...culars/compt_binoculars/8x25_wp_ii/index.html

I'm predisposed to like them for their straightforward looks alone. I have even wondered whether I could stand the Olympus 10x25 WP IIs. But I simply have no information about them from anyone who's actually seen, and seen through, them.

I'd be grateful for your thoughts.

Last edited:
They certainly look alright, quite cheap too.
I'd recommend going for an 8 rather than 10x25 personally.
I say give them a go.

There’s nearly been quite a lot of late-night clicking and buying! Agonizing over incomplete information, and trying at intervals to cut the Gordian knot of indecision by just ordering the things, must be a psychological sequence familiar to other readers of these forums.

But I think I am pretty inclined to see just how bad the 8x25s could really be, once I get more feedback about the Vortex Diamondback 8x28s. Something like these would be so genuinely compact that they’d probably keep some sort of place in my life even if they weren’t all I hoped.

If they’re not only fulfilled by Amazon but sold by them too, returns are so insanely easy that that becomes a kind of push factor, too.

I would get an informed opinion, as some of the small Olympus binoculars have been terrible, others O.K. and some good.
Same with Pentax small binoculars.

That’s good to know. Olympus is sort of a black box for me. I have to say, from what I’ve seen I would probably get the old Pentax DCF MP 8x28s in a minute, if they still existed, and call it a day.

Well … in order to keep myself from 'researching' in front of a screen for too many more hours, or days, I've given in and ordered the 8x25s from Amazon. They'll be easy to return if need be, and I will let you know how they seem after they arrive, probably late next week.

I got both the 10x25's and 8x25's, in my impatient curiosity.

In terms of build quality, they're neither unusually robust not unusually fragile. I dropped the 10x25's twice onto the floor from about 4 feet (unintentionally), once onto thin carpet and once onto hardwood. After that adventure, the focusing knob no longer turns with the same friction throughout its range—there's a looser patch in the middle—and the hinge tension on one side is saggy.

But, and this is a big but, the rubber armoring on both pairs is very pleasing to hold, and the 8x25s still feel robust and well made. They're a very pleasant little pair of binoculars for what they are, and not only in mechanical terms. For me, at least, the 8x25s have considerable overall 'ease of view.' They weigh next to nothing. They're attractive. They come with a nice case. And they're bright and reasonably sharp for the size.

So they're now my carry-to-work-on-the-train binoculars, in preference to a pair of Vortex Diamondback 8x28s that I also ordered experimentally, but will now be returning. I'll return the Diamondbacks because I can't get them to stop vignetting, no matter how I try and arrange them on my face, and for me it turns out that they're bulky enough to feel neither like the one thing (i.e., true compacts) nor the other (full-size 8x32 binoculars). If the eye relief didn't render them unusable, I might prefer them, but it's hard to tell.

I'll keep the 10x25s, since they've already had a bit of rough handling, in the car's glove compartment; will commute with the 8x25s; and will mail the 8x28s back, still curious about whether to incorporate a pair of Diamondbacks into my life at some point, in a different size.

Last edited:
Compared to the Terra's $300US price and the SW and Zeiss 8x25 in the 700-800 range,
and considering the questionable use/ value of pocket binoculars,
this seems like a good option
if you do not like them, then little lost
if you really do, then maybe worth upgrading in the future.

thanks for the thread/review
edj

Compared to the Terra's $300US price and the SW and Zeiss 8x25 in the 700-800 range,
and considering the questionable use/ value of pocket binoculars,
this seems like a good option
if you do not like them, then little lost
if you really do, then maybe worth upgrading in the future.

thanks for the thread/review
edj

Where I'm from these can be bought for about $120 in our money. The Zeiss on the other hand are over $900 but there is a reason for that.
My initial thought was for so cheap give them a go, if they work out that's great.
Regarding the Zeiss these are no short of amazing, I like you thought of pocket sized to potentially be questionable until I got the Zeiss Victory 8x25. These provide viewing comfort, quality of image and handling which can compete with much larger or even more expensive binoculars.
For me the price of the Zeiss have been justified by the high quality, easy view and the ability to have them at hand far more readily than 32 or 42's.
I haven't looked through the Olympus but they sound reasonable and being so cheap it'd be worth any optical compromises. With the Zeiss you pay to get no compromise so the questionable use or value you mention no longer applies.
Having high quality 32 and 42mm binoculars at hand I often choose my pockets over them more often than not because they are simply that good.

Last edited:
It’s definitely the best-case scenario, to have compacts so satisfying one actively prefers them, and I hope I end up there. For me, for now, cheapness does turn out to be a kind of feature, too, since it helps in the goal of blanketing my personal zone with optics.

I am currently in the "market" for a pair of general travel binoculars - my need has arisen because I dropped the pair of Nikon Sportstar II 8x20 I've used for the last 20 years.:(

Typical targets are identifying buildings on the horizon, cathedral ceiling features, boats out at sea, and (obvoiusly) birds.

Small size and lightness are key requirments. The Olympus (per this thread) have continue to be well reviewed.

Do you (Peter Audrain) have any comments to add? Did you come to love and keep them, or did further acquaintance show unanticipated problems?

I have those Olympus binoculars and they are very sharp and nice to use. Only drawbacks are the narrow field of view and the fact that they are not waterproof.

I have those Olympus binoculars and they are very sharp and nice to use. Only drawbacks are the narrow field of view and the fact that they are not waterproof.
Thanks for that. "nice to use" is exactly what I'm looking for!

I have to say that every vendor says that the "WP" literally stands for waterproof!

From a review:
...field of view of 108m at 1000m, an actual field of view of 6.2 degrees, and an apparent field of view of 49.5 degrees

My current rather old Nikon are stated at 6.3 degrees - what's considered "OK" today?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back