• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 7D mkii rumour mongering (1 Viewer)

It can be calibrated through the menu precisely to Canon lenses.
I wonder if there might be a problem with non-Canon lenses?
Would we just have to take pot luck?

f8 with a extender makes the 400 5.6 the all king!

For a few hundred dollars you can turn 640 into 896 or 1280 with full speed auto focus and hopeful a higher usable ISO. A tack sharp walk around 400mm 5.6 can be a Eagle nest snapper with use of a tripod.

This may be the greatest birding Camera ever!

For a few hundred dollars you can turn 640 into 896 or 1280 with full speed auto focus and hopeful a higher usable ISO. A tack sharp walk around 400mm 5.6 can be a Eagle nest snapper with use of a tripod.

Canon had to update the 400mm IS DO but never bothered to update the 400mm 5.6 and give it image stabilization again!

With centre AF at F8 (is the latest confirmed info centre point or centre cross?), the 400f5.6 will only take a 1.4x TC to get to 896mm equivalent. My NikonD7100 + Tamron150-600f6.3 is already at ~1150mm equivalent when using the 1.3x in-camera crop function (a gloriously handy option for reducing file sizes from unnecessary background info - I wish the Canon 7DII had the same! ). Even without that in-camera crop the new Sigma150-600f6.3 Sport will be at 960mm equivalent and f6.3, though hardly the best walk around option.

However, the announced update to the Canon 400mm DO f4 IS II, with a 1.4x TC will give 896mm equivalent and f5.6, or with a 2x TC will give 1280mm equivalent and f8 (so centre AF) in around about the same weight as the Tammy set up. If the IQ and contrast holds up on the DO II it could be the new walk around reach king with the 7DII :king:

Now imagine that with a 1.3x in-camera crop .....1664mmf8 and Centre AF and under 3kg all up !! C'mon Canon engineers - get cracking!

Chosun :gh:

I personally don't want them to touch the 400mm 5.6, even with better optics. The magical thing about the lens now is the cost. $1300ish new, $900 Used. An Update would bring it up in price. Right now a beginner can buy used and get some incredible handheld shots easily with it. Plus an update with IS will bring the weight up, it is perfect as it is now. It is the single reason why to go Canon for birds if all else fails. I personally don't care for Nikons button layout on their bodies but I love the pictures compared to Canon...but once that Mighty whitey Tighty 400 5.6 locks on to bird all is well in the world. Give me an SL1 body and the 400 5.6 ill still will be happy!

I personally don't want them to touch the 400mm 5.6, even with better optics. The magical thing about the lens now is the cost. $1300ish new, $900 Used. An Update would bring it up in price. Right now a beginner can buy used and get some incredible handheld shots easily with it. Plus an update with IS will bring the weight up, it is perfect as it is now. It is the single reason why to go Canon for birds if all else fails. I personally don't care for Nikons button layout on their bodies but I love the pictures compared to Canon...but once that Mighty whitey Tighty 400 5.6 locks on to bird all is well in the world. Give me an SL1 body and the 400 5.6 ill still will be happy!

:t::clap::clap::clap:

It does have a few things I wanted ,1.6 crop -decent buffer- silent mode 4 fps ( would have liked 5 ) AF like the 5dmkIII -1dx - 2 MP more 5 would have been better .

Price is below what I thought it would be so that's good too all in all this could be the best birding camera made by Canon yet .
It also should bring birding photography to a lot more people as f8 AF means a lower budget setup can be used and that can only be good.
Rob.

The price is very low compared to my expectations. Depending on it's ISO performance I can only see it undermining 1DX sales and retail prices. Presumably there will be a 5D4 and 1DX2 to raise the bar again soon?
In the meantime I wonder what Nikon will produce to compete, their D300s is way overdue an upgrade or maybe they are concentrating on developing the full frame camera with integral crop option , a concept that I wouldn't mind seeing with Canon too.

It looks pretty good to me and I'm going to order one. A bit expensive here in Japan (it is cheaper in the US for some reason), it's not only UK buyers who get ripped off a bit.

The lack of wifi, 4K video and touchscreen are not dealbreakers for me. I'm awaiting reviews of the new sensor (hope it'll be better at higher ISO than the MK1 or 70D) but to be honest the new AF system is almost reason to buy it even if the new sensor turns out to be on the underwhelming side.

From canon USA site.

Attachments

• Screen-Shot-2014-09-16-at-21.05.50.jpg
    Screen-Shot-2014-09-16-at-21.05.50.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 151
The lack of wifi, 4K video and touchscreen are not dealbreakers for me. I'm awaiting reviews of the new sensor (hope it'll be better at higher ISO than the MK1 or 70D) but to be honest the new AF system is almost reason to buy it even if the new sensor turns out to be on the underwhelming side.

I am of the same mind as you. I don't need WIFI, don't give a wit about video, and don't want a touch screen to mash my nose into:-O.

What I do want, that I won't see, is fully reroutable keys, not selective reroutable keys. If I could move the auto focus selection and exposure lock 1 left, and bring the AF-ON to the outside, I would get 60% less thumb in my right eye glasses lens. I wish I could shoot right eye, but I can't my eye dominance appears to strong to the left (I do shoot with both eyes open, but the right eye is unfortunately behind too much camera to be too useful).

New thing? Left eye camera? I'll sign up.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back