• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Excel spreadsheet of UK birds? (2 Viewers)

mipettin

-
Hi

I am thinking of starting a project of photographing UK birds and adding them to my web site as well as starting a life list. I've already seen 5 lifers in the last month since I started using my new digital camera to try and capture birds on films. I've also got a 1.7x converter on order for my Olympus C740.

To start me off an Excel spreadsheet would be great - ideally ordered by common species - i.e. rare ones at the bottom. Any members got such a spreadsheet they are happy to share. Out of interest lifers were Goldcrest, Greater Spotted Woodpecker - both very close sightings - less than 6 feet. Hooded Crow in NW Scotland, Kingfisher and Goosander.

Martin
-

five lifers? That's nothing... I got 17 this month alone!

ANyway, can't really help you out, since I'm a USA resident. However, my dad is planning on getting me a C740UZ as well, so we could share info...

-
gthang

Sure happy to share info about C740 - I've learnt a lot over the last couple of months - check out my gallery if you'd like to see examples of what I've achieved so far without my teleconverter. Actually make it 6 lifers as I'd never seen a long tailed tit! Other odd thing is I drive a Ford Focus!

Martin
-

Regarding your excel spredsheet, I would just modify a life spreadsheet with something like:

Bird name, scientific name, location found, date of first sighting, sex of the bird, Key ID marks, and anything else. Here's a Picture:

Attachments

• table header.jpg
    table header.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 220
Yeah, I know it's small but I didn't think anybody would need the birds...

The spreadsheet is pretty straightforward. This way, it will make you better able to tell the difference between two birds, say, a Hairy Woodpecker and Downy Woodpecker.

mipettin said:
-
gthang

Sure happy to share info about C740 - I've learnt a lot over the last couple of months - check out my gallery if you'd like to see examples of what I've achieved so far without my teleconverter. Actually make it 6 lifers as I'd never seen a long tailed tit! Other odd thing is I drive a Ford Focus!

Martin
-
You too? Man I love my Focus... I might just marry it...

Awesome car. My dad has a Porsche 911, and on a curve near my house, my dad did 88mph in the Porsche when the curve was dry. When I took the curve in my car, the curve was wet, and i hit upwards of 90mph! Serious!

I'm focusing on the cometition!

I'm shifting my focus to shifting my focus!

Dang, the puns are endless!

Anyway, i'm a member of the Ford Focus community at www.focusfanatics.com. If you're not a member you should check it out. I've made upwards of 500 posts there, but lately, i haven't been going lately because I have not driven my focus much since December 15th... There's no way I'm just going to take it for a "spin", since I did that once, literally... Don't want to get pulled by the "fuzz", so I just stay inside all day, all alone whilst my parents are at work, and I have to stay home and take care of the dog anyhow...

Man, I gave new meaning to the phrase "police chase"...

Attached is an Excel spreadsheet of UK Birds (BOU list), sorry not listed by rarity though, but feel free to add your own column ;-)

Attachments

• UKBirds.zip
    22 KB · Views: 194
If you watch the birds in your backyard, you could also create a new column for population of that area. for example, one time, I had a dozen American Goldfinches on the feeders at the same time... Also, we have a pileated woodpecker around here (I believe its a female), but we have not seen any evidence pointing to a male in the area. So in the Population column, I put "1>", which means that 1 was recorded, but there might be at least this number, especially during the mating season.

Other birds that have population figures in my area are Dark-Eyed Junco (6>), Great Blue Heron (2>), Northern Cardinal (3>), etc. Regarding the GBH population, there is a pond less than eighth-mile from where I live, and it's home to what appears to be a family of Great Blues. Regarding the Northern Cardinals, I saw a male, then a female, then another male chased the male away, which = 3, but since it's mating season, there should be at least a few more, including babies.

Hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back