• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Feeling Rich? (2 Viewers)

Wow, ....... :eek!: ..... and it is rare - i would be scred to go out of the door incase I was highjacked.

How does one pay insurance on a lens like this one :eek!:

Regards
Kathy
x

Never mind a pop-up hide imagine taking it out to a proper bird hide on a reserve! You'd feel the collective power of the intense hatred from regular birders coupled with the insane jealousy of other photographers. Mr L G R Evans may well have to step down as the no.1 most maligned person in the UK birding scene ;)

I have spoken to a couple of people recently who have used this lens. One of them used to have a job where they used one from the back of a pickup, apparently they had a big tripod bolted into the back that it was mounted on. I guess it was an easy way to deal with transport and stability in one go. Was also talking to a chap who borrowed one to test and said it was an amazing lens. Not sure that it would outperform other big primes (with tcs for the reach) but is a real collectors item. I would love to get my hands on one to try...

Bearing in mind the price and considering this 1200mm lens is 20 year old technology, I'd still be interested to see a comparison between it and a new 600mm IS II with 2x TC attached. The old lens would have the advantage of 1 primary stop of aperture, Whereas I'd expect the new lens would have pretty much everything else in its favour, including a saving of over £90k. Tricky one to decide really...
I read somewhere that the original market for these was rich Saudis who wanted to view their Hawks etc.

Just heard that MPB will be taking this lens to Photokina where it will be in the Lenscoat booth on the Friday and Saturday. Will give many an opportunity to see this incredibly rare lens up close.

I suppose it begs the question, MPB being a s/h dealer and all, what did he pay and what the hell was he thinking? lol

I suppose it begs the question, MPB being a s/h dealer and all, what did he pay and what the hell was he thinking? lol

I dare say that all the talk about the lens will have generated a lot of extra traffic for their website and no doubt a lot of extra sales. I guess that all the extra sales will help and then they will make money once the lens sells. Who knows might even be a commission sale.

I dare say that all the talk about the lens will have generated a lot of extra traffic for their website and no doubt a lot of extra sales. I guess that all the extra sales will help and then they will make money once the lens sells. Who knows might even be a commission sale.
Can you really believe that the lens will ever sell? I think that is the original white elephant. o:)

Can you really believe that the lens will ever sell? I think that is the original white elephant. o:)

I am sure it will sell soon enough. The last one that I saw come up secondhand was about five years ago. B&H in New York had it at $120k and it only last a few months.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back