• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best digi-scoping camera? (1 Viewer)

lewis20126

I need to but a good digiscoping camera, but have a number of requirements:

• [
  • Needs to be usable with the old TSN 823 Kowa, 20-60 zoom eyepiece (very small glass diameter)
  • Preferably usable with the new Swarovskis, when (if) I buy one!
  • Simple adaptors available
  • Prefer a very close macro mode (like the very old coolpix range) to enable use for moths etc
  • uses SD cards
  • MUST have manual focus option (not just auto-focus)
Any thoughts welcome.

cheers, alan

Tsn-823

Hi Lewis.

Good photos can be made on your TSN-823 scope on the 20-60 eyepiece via the Kowa adapter with a TSN-IP4s (iPhone4s) or TSN-IP5 (iPhone 5) if you do indeed have an iPhone. If not you can still use them with other scope such as the Swarovski, See the compatibility chart here http://www.kowaproducts.com/kowa-digiscoping-adapters/KowaTSN-IP4S/

In relation to cameras, you didnt quite say if you already have a camera or not. The choice is primarily conditioned by your budget. I would suggest a second hand dslr in the event you dont have one. Any second hand video-capable DSLR will do you good service and there are several Kowa / Swaro adapters available. I use Canon 7d & 1D mkIV with very good results, but you dont need to go and splash out on them bodies.

Compact digital cams are excellent nowadays and a used Canon S95/100 will serve you well. If you can stretch your budget, a Nikon V series is also excellent and a popular choice with digiscopers, as is the Sony RX100 and other Panasonic Lumix variants. All have manual focus and macro options as well as using SD cards.

Make sure you get a good sturdy tripod, a fluid head and a remote release / iPhone earphones to reduce camera shake and you'll be good to go. Iv attached a photo of a Kentish plover taken with the TSN-883 & iPhone 4s via IP4s adapter and a photo of a Black-winged Stilt taken with the 1D mkIV & Kowa LenScope.

We are having a digiscoping workshop in Morocco this coming September in case your interested. If you have any further questions dont hesitate to ask.

Attachments

• Kentish Plover.jpg
    Kentish Plover.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 246
  • Black-winged-Stilt2_resized.jpg
    Black-winged-Stilt2_resized.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
Hi Alan

The mobile phone setup on your eyepiece would suffer greatly with vignetting, due to the eye relief on the zoom, resulting in pictures being cropped quite a bit, you would then have to enlarge pics which results in digital zoom, try before you buy, ( come and see me at Birdfair if you are making the trip as I can go through set ups with you so you can see what you are getting and if it is what you want? )

DSLR on your setup would need good light, not that we get much in the UK :)
shutter speeds can be low in neutral and low light, great for your trips abroad where its sunny, but not here, so quite high ISO speeds required giving you noise on the picture depending on your pocket and what you want to fork out for

Which leaves you with a compact, if on a budget, then second hand market, otherwise any of the compacts mentioned and a simple adapter from SRB Griturn, if your passing Hertfordshire pop in and see me, need to pay you back for the Kumliens :)

ATB

Paul

Thanks for the responses - and the offer of help Paul.

I''ve got a 7D but keep a 1-400 on this in my bag so don't want to use it for dig-scoping. I think the IPhone solution is a non starter for this eyepiece for the reason Paul gives - I don't want lots of vignetting as the exposure gets shot.

So left with the compact and adaptor combo. I'll have a look at the prices and specs of those suggested.

cheers, alan

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back