• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dyfi Ospreys 2015 (1 Viewer)

Tiger_mz

The Dyfi Ospreys Monty and Glesni are not due back until about a week into April or more.

Will they be delayed too?

Will Blue 24 get there before them?

I was hoping for a relatively calm season this year but I think there's relatively little hope after the uncertain start. Personally, I hope Glesni returns safe and sound and keeps the nest, I've watched her mature from not having a clue into a good mother not to mention the fights she had with 24 that had me absolutely gripped and terrified of severe injury to either. If the unthinkable happened and Glesni at some point in the future didn't return then I'd be more than happy to see 24 replace her, she's a fine bird, guess we'll just have to see what ride the rollercoaster gives us.

I was hoping for a relatively calm season this year but I think there's relatively little hope after the uncertain start. Personally, I hope Glesni returns safe and sound and keeps the nest, I've watched her mature from not having a clue into a good mother not to mention the fights she had with 24 that had me absolutely gripped and terrified of severe injury to either. If the unthinkable happened and Glesni at some point in the future didn't return then I'd be more than happy to see 24 replace her, she's a fine bird, guess we'll just have to see what ride the rollercoaster gives us.

Calm osprey seasons do not happen. This is my seventeenth.

This will be only my fourth season, I am so relieved to see a lot of the 'regulars' are now returning but waiting with bated for others....yes, hoping for a 'relatively calm' season is definitely only wishful thinking, I think I'm trying to break my nerves in gently! The extra sites and webcams I'm picking up on now and wonderful information takes some following and keeping up with but no doubt nothing compared to the dedication of people to gather and share it for which I for one am very grateful. I'd love to see a Dyfi offspring return and appear somewhere this year...who knows eh?

This will be only my fourth season, I am so relieved to see a lot of the 'regulars' are now returning but waiting with bated for others....yes, hoping for a 'relatively calm' season is definitely only wishful thinking, I think I'm trying to break my nerves in gently! The extra sites and webcams I'm picking up on now and wonderful information takes some following and keeping up with but no doubt nothing compared to the dedication of people to gather and share it for which I for one am very grateful. I'd love to see a Dyfi offspring return and appear somewhere this year...who knows eh?

Well Monty is due in less than a week. See countdown clock

The Battle of The Females at Dyfi has started

At about 7.30am Blue 24 was standing on the Dyfi nests when she was suddenly alarmed. She flew off to combat the intruder.

Then two ospreys were seen fighting it out in the sky.

Has Glesni returned?

Tiger_mz

Hi
Apologies, late post.

Visited the Dyfi Osprey Project last week and just like our other previous visits, just to say what a great reserve it is and the hospitality, knowledge and enthusiasm of the team there is first class.

Many thanks
Merlin

Tiger_mz

Hi
Apologies, late post.

Visited the Dyfi Osprey Project last week and just like our other previous visits, just to say what a great reserve it is and the hospitality, knowledge and enthusiasm of the team there is first class.

Many thanks
Merlin

Yes one always get a first class welcome at Dyfi.

Here was an account of my first visit just over 5 years ago.

A Visit To The Dyfi Osprey Project

Tuesday 20th April 2010 was the day that Chloe and I visited the Dyfi Osprey project.

We met Heather and her mum at the Bondanw Arms at around 11am and from there we made our way to the Dyfi Osprey project. The journey took about 75 minutes....

We were greeted by Emyr and the rest of the team. The offered us coffee and had a chat. We immediately learned a new word viz. philopatry. Apparently is the behaviour of young osprey particularly males to return to the place of their birth.

We went down to the hide and had a look at the nest through binoculars. After that we went for a walk down down the walkways. The scenery was magnificent and the place was teeming with wildlife. The weather was very kind with wall to wall sunshine.

We then came back to the centre and after a short while a shout went up “osprey”. We all piled out to find an osprey was loafing about on one of the electric poles.

Then a guy called Clive (no not that Clive) turned up. I had a really interesting chat with him.

Back in the osprey centre we had another chat and and topics varied far and wide from ovicycles to moths to the sex life of the boll weevil.

Then after some more time another shout went up saying that the osprey now had a fish. Sure enough we could now see the osprey on another pole clearly eating a fish.

There was an alert for another bird in the sky and Emyr identified it as a sparrowhawk.

By this time it was near time for the centre to shut. However there was more excitement to come. This time it was a peregine soaring in the air. Emyr managed to get photos. Then finally an osprey soared high in the sky clearly carrying a fish. It was all so exciting.

Then we started the long journey home. Once again the scenery was magnificent.

We then journeyed back to the Brynllydan hotel where we were staying. We had a lovely meal in the hotel where the food was magnificent.

A day which we will never forget. The welcome we had at the Dyfi project was very special indeed. I have no hestitation in recommending it as a must visit on the osprey circuit.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back