• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to find people to birdwatch with? (1 Viewer)

roo.

I'm still quite a novice with birding, and also autistic, and have been helped out a few times at reserves by more experienced birders who helped me see things I might otherwise have missed (Spoonbill and Marsh Harrier at Rainham Marshes especially come to mind here) and realised I could probably do with a helping hand.

The problem is I have no idea how to go about finding someone who could help me get a better handle on everything. I can't drive, so am mostly limited to the London Freedom Pass area.

Hi,

Do you have an RSPB Local Members Group in your area? They hold indoor meetings and outdoor field trips. Many of them also do coach / car-share trips to reserves around the country. Local bird clubs, Wildlife Trusts or natural history societies may also be worth a try. When I started out, I found it very useful having a local patch as a focal point allowing me to learn a great deal from more experienced birders.

Cheers

Thanks for the reply, I have enquired about joining the London Natural History Society as they seem to do the most events and have some aimed at beginners, but the process seems a bit confusing to me so will have to see how it develops.

My local patch would be South Norwood Country Park but unfortunately it is often not really safe enough to be there alone.

If you contact the RSPB, they should be able to give you information about local groups, I'm sure there are some out there. Let's hope you can join the LNHS, beginners events are often a good way to learn without being swamped with too much information or being worried about asking questions you may feel are too basic. I've certainly been to events which turn out to be apparently aimed at "experts" which have left me very disillusioned, feeling any questions I asked would be treated as "stupid" or "beginners" questions.

If you're not comfortable about visiting your nearest patch on your own, is there anywhere safer that you could travel to easily. My "local" patch used to take me almost an hour to get to by bus. There were closer ones but you wouldn't feel comfortable visiting alone. If possible, a place with a visitors centre is ideal as it forms a natural focal point for other visitors meaning you can catch up on local bird/wildlife news quickly and easily.

Cheers.

There is one that is only a tram away that I might start going to more regularly, I believe it is becoming a full fledged nature reserve in a few years too.

I'm waiting for an email back from LNHS now. Thank you for your advice by the way, it's helped me figure out how to progress a bit :)

You're more than welcome. We've all got to start somewhere and it can all seem a bit daunting at times. Just remember to enjoy yourself when you're out and about and learn at your own pace.

Bird Forum is a great place to ask for advice on most subjects of natural history, not just birds. No-one's an expert on everything :)

Cheers

If you don't mind venturing slightly further afield, Crossness nature reserve between Thamesmead and Belveder and Crayford marshes are worth a visit. Both border the river thames ad there is usually plenty to see. Both have train stations within a ten minute walk away. Crossness has a friends of Crossness scheme that gets you access to a locked part of the reserve and newsletter with details of various nature walks and volunteer events. Bexley RSPB often lead walks at these sites too.

Info on Crayford marshes here - http://londonbirders.wikia.com/wiki/Crayford_Marshes
Info on Crossness here - http://www.bexleywildlife.org/friends-of-crossness-nature-reserve/
Bexley RSPB - http://www.rspb.org.uk/groups/bexley/

Hope that is of some help

Perry

I have been to Crayford Marshes once, the weather failed me upon arrival and I didn't see much, didn't know about Crossness though so will check that out!

Check out the central London RSPB group's website. They hold meetings once a month over in Knightsbridge and they also run coach trips from the London Embankment tube station. I'm sure they would always welcome new members and those coach trips and meetings are a way of getting to meet other birders.

I dont know how far your freedom pass gets you but the Lea Valley is accessable by train from Liverpool Street station. Rye House station is close to Rye Meads RSPB reserve. I'm a volunteer there and they are a welcoming enough bunch. Likewise I'm sure at the Barnes Wetland Wildfowl centre if you fancy travelling to West London.

The freedom pass can get you as far as Enfield Lock, Rye House is about four stops after that but an extension would mean it's probably not too dear to do as a day trip sometime. Barnes WWT is good but the day I went was really busy and a bit overwhelming after a while.

EDIT: Actually after having a proper look into it, I can actually get to Cheshunt with the pass if I take the overground, then (hopefully) get the 310 bus from there. There's about a half hour walk involved but it's doable. Now I think I might try out a visit this week if I'm feeling alright one day.

Last edited:
As well as the RSPB groups the London Natural History Society has local trips most weekends- for birds as well as meetings for botany + insects. The LNHS also runs coach trips to places further away suchg as north Norfolk, Kent, etc. If you go to their web site you can see the programme which run March-August + then September to Feb.

Yeah, the LNHS got back to me about joining, just waiting to have the £20 spare (and also wondering if I should hang about a couple more months since I'd only be getting four months membership for my money at this point).

I have done a couple more trips, Tyttenhanger for Tree Sparrow (achieved) and Brent Reservoir for the basic waders (rain stopped play on that one) - also still got Rye Meads on the horizon, plus Epsom Downs and Ruislip Woods.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back