• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Tier 2" Conquest HD or Trinovid (8x42) (1 Viewer)

so, it's been a long time for this thread to sleep, but I'm curious: with the trinovid now selling at below 1000 at one vendor's sale, how do folks think the comparison looks today?

I've STILL not looked through a pair of Conquest HDs!

That said I know I nearly went with the Trinovid at retail ($1400ish) and VERY NEARLY went with it at demo pricing at CLNY ($1150ish).

Under $1000 is even more attractive.

Optically, the Conquest HD is superior to the Trinovid, as its apparent sharpness, due to better CA control, was superior. I found the build quality and mechanics of the Trinovid better than that of the Conquest.

However, if I were to choose something from this range, it would be the Vortex Razor HD (single-hinged model). It combines high quality optics (I couldn't discern which I preferred optically between it and the Conquest HD), with good build quality and a much more ergonomic, light package (24.7 vs 28.0 [Conq.] vs 28.6 [Trin.]) with the closest focus (6').

Optically, the Conquest HD is superior to the Trinovid, as its apparent sharpness, due to better CA control, was superior. I found the build quality and mechanics of the Trinovid better than that of the Conquest.

However, if I were to choose something from this range, it would be the Vortex Razor HD (single-hinged model). It combines high quality optics (I couldn't discern which I preferred optically between it and the Conquest HD), with good build quality and a much more ergonomic, light package (24.7 vs 28.0 [Conq.] vs 28.6 [Trin.]) with the closest focus (6').

That is pretty much *exactly* how I feel about the three binos mentioned. And the more I use our 10x Razor, the more I realize just how good it really is. In addition to what jremmons wrote, I would add that the Razor has the best focus wheel too. I will say that at current retail levels that the Razor is a bit overpriced, but then again, there is no need to buy at full retail.

The only thing I don't like about the Razor are the objective covers, which leave small indentations in the armor where they fit. I don't use them anyway. At any rate, they are still better than the Zeiss'.

That is pretty much *exactly* how I feel about the three binos mentioned. And the more I use our 10x Razor, the more I realize just how good it really is. In addition to what jremmons wrote, I would add that the Razor has the best focus wheel too. I will say that at current retail levels that the Razor is a bit overpriced, but then again, there is no need to buy at full retail.

The only thing I don't like about the Razor are the objective covers, which leave small indentations in the armor where they fit. I don't use them anyway. At any rate, they are still better than the Zeiss'.

The point about the weight is well taken.

I haven't had a chance to use the Razors in the past, but will keep an eye out. One issue for me is that it looks as if none of the bins we're discussing will work unless I'm wearing glasses, which is too bad for me. I'm fairly nearsighted and prefer not to use my eyeglasses - the glasses are multifocal, and getting the binos lined up with the portion of the eyeglass that they're focused best for is one more thing to compensate for.

I'm seeing reports that the Razor has zero focus past infinity, and that the Trinovid is probably 4 diopters past infinity tops, as is the Zeiss.

We have a set of Vanguard Endeavor 10x42s and a set of Monarch 7 8x42s at the house. I definitely notice the extra weight in the Vanguards. Once they're stable, I find the image is notably worse than that in the Monarchs - but without glasses, I'm very close to being unable to use the Monarchs any longer, particularly for planet viewing.

Frustratingly, the Vanguards focus well past infinity for me without my glasses. If the view was at the level of the Nikons, I'd buy a set of 8x from them and call it a day.

On the up side, the Monarchs are dramatically better through eyeglasses than the Vanguards are. Nicely for me, my girlfriend actually prefers the Vanguards as she likes the slightly higher magnification.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back