• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2015 trip reports (1 Viewer)

Petri,
thanks for sharing. I would like to point out that the policy regarding walk in visitors at Asa Wright is nothing new. It was the same first time I visited 10 years ago. I am not sure where you got your information, but I have seen this described online in a number of places. For someone staying there, the low number of guest on the trails is a plus.

Niels

There apparently has been some variation in the treatment of day visitors, for various reasons. Some have been able to talk themselves in (sometimes with the support of a Asa Wright business partner, whose services they have already used), to be able to walk the trails, also in 2015. The same has applied to the visits in the Oilbird cave.

The policy has, however, become increasingly strict during the past few years, according to the reports I have read and according to the people I met in Tobago and Trinidad. There is also the plan to stop visiting the cave altogether, because Internet camera views are thought to be sufficient for the clients Asa Wright prefers.

Moreover, there has been confusion in the published reports: Some claim that the trails cannot be independently visited at all, while others state this to be completely false information and claim that Asa Wright in fact encourages independent exploration. The reports usually fail to make a distinction between day visitors and those who stay in the resort. The first are severely restricted whereas the lodgers have more freedom of movement, for a price.

Considering the low number of international birding visitors in Trinidad, independent visitors in particular, their complete exclusion probably is not a sound choice for a business like Asa Wright. On the other hand, they may do as they wish, privatizing the local natural heritage for the wealthiest elites.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back