• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shawell Tip (2 Viewers)

Good thought John
I'm pretty sure it's Redland, so I'll see what I can come up with, especially as large company's often have a bit of a 'green' budget.
cheers
Neil

Pity it wasn't ten years ago as my Dad, 2 sisters, 3 brother in laws and a cousin worked there :eek!: One of my sisters still has contacts there I think so will try and see if she can see how the land lies.

Regards

John

Pity it wasn't ten years ago as my Dad, 2 sisters, 3 brother in laws and a cousin worked there :eek!: One of my sisters still has contacts there I think so will try and see if she can see how the land lies.

Regards

John
I'll leave it with you for now then John, your sister's contacts might well be the way to go. The best place for a screen (or better still a hide) would be on the inner bank just inside the steel footpath gate to the right. It would give a complete view of the pool and benefit from the prevailing light. Good luck.
good birding this w/e.
Neil

At last, a white winger in the shape of an immature Iceland Gull. It was on the grass ridge north east of the main A5 pool at 3 PM. From the A5 it was pretty distant and foggy so views weren't brilliant but still the first of the winter.

Well done Neil,will have a look tomorrow morning for white winger!:t:

Great Dave. Fog may be a problem early on, but fingers crossed. I can't make it tomorrow as I'm ringing but will try Sunday.
cheers
Neil

Didn't manage to get there myself today but the juv Iceland Gull again reported on the pager on the A5 pit with adult Caspian and 2 adult Yellow-legged at 12.10

Regards

John

Didn't manage to get there myself today but the juv Iceland Gull again reported on the pager on the A5 pit with adult Caspian and 2 adult Yellow-legged at 12.10

Regards

John

Hi John and Neil, I got to the pit at around 10.30am yesterday and watched it for the next two hours. I saw the 1st winter Iceland Gull between 12.00-12.30pm, and between 10.30am and 12.00pm saw at least 1 adult Caspian and 2 adult Yellow-legged Gulls. With all three species I got a few record digishots of the gulls.
Cheers,
Dave.:t:

Attachments

• DSCN9758.jpg
    DSCN9758.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 201
  • DSCN9788.jpg
    DSCN9788.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 201
  • DSCN9808.jpg
    DSCN9808.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 207
No problems Neil with the photo. If you want a few more shots of the bird let us know?
Cheers,
Dave.

Ps Also I think this is the seventh Iceland Gull I have seen this year in the county!!

Thanks Dave. The pale iris shows up well, that's what I wasn't close enough to see on Friday.
Thousands of gulls in the area today but a shoot nearby (which sounded like world war III) was making everything very nervous and nothing hung around for long. Several Y-L G's again but no Iceland or Caspian seen, although I was looking at just a small sample. Highest number of BHG's on the main pool so far this winter but still no Meds, I'm getting a complex so please someone find one soon.

Shawell 15th December

Popped over there today for a brief visit. Nothing of note on the A5 pits but only gave it a go from inside the footpath side. Went to the tip and many gulls on the small pool behind with the best being 2 adult Yellow-legged. Hope to do it a bit of justice (if you excuse the pun) over the Christmas break.

Regards

John

3 ad Y-L Gulls this afternoon, also leucistic B-H Gull for the second time. Having checked the tip out on Saturday I think it may be as good as anywhere to pick up white-wingers but too distant to obtain satisfying views of much else. The pool(s) are still the best bet for good views but I was quite amazed how many gulls came from the direction of the tip in near darkness today and either dropped in very briefly or simply flew over the A5 toward ... Draycote?

Keep em peeled at Shawell as a juv Iceland Gull, 1st winter Med Gull and 6 Yellow-legged reported in the roost at Draycote this evening.

Regards

John

Ad Caspian Gull on the ice today (lower pool is pretty much frozen) also 4 Y-L gulls including 2 on the ice but still no Med amongst the thousands? of BHG's, I'm blaming snow blindness. Cheers all.

Attachments

• stance.jpg
    stance.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 100
Ad Caspian Gull on the ice today (lower pool is pretty much frozen) also 4 Y-L gulls including 2 on the ice but still no Med amongst the thousands? of BHG's, I'm blaming snow blindness. Cheers all.

Looks like a different bird to the one I saw a couple of weeks ago?
Also I think the 2nd Winter Iceland Gull is now in the West Midlands (Stubber's Green?), as I saw photo on surfbirds which looked very much like the Shawell bird?
Happy Winterval!

Looks like a different bird to the one I saw a couple of weeks ago?
Also I think the 2nd Winter Iceland Gull is now in the West Midlands (Stubber's Green?), as I saw photo on surfbirds which looked very much like the Shawell bird?
Happy Winterval!
Thanks Dave. This is the bird I've seen three times now (based on bill pattern and general appearance) it has a typical winter sub terminal 'band' created by the red gonys spot and dark marks on the lower and upper mandible a bit like this http://www.iesmeulmeester.nl/fotos.php?actie=foto&subcatsub=236 but slightly bolder. I wish I had decent digi facilities like you have but all my 'grabs' are hand held against the eye piece.
Hoping to visit again tomorrow.

Looking at the pager at work this afternoon it might be checking out Albert Village lake in the next few days as an adult Iceland Gull was found in the roost at Foremark Resv this afternoon.
Also late news yesterday a Juvenile Glaucous Gull was reported from Draycote Water (any news John?) so it maybe worth keeping your eyes on Shawell GPs in the next day or so Neil?
Cheers,
Dave.

Hi Dave/Neil

The Glaucous Gull was an adult seen post roost in fields near the A426 then flew off (R Mays D Cox) Don't know who had the bird at Draycote in the afternoon that was reported on the pager today. Will have a look at my local tip which was open today.

Regards

John

Looking at the pager at work this afternoon it might be checking out Albert Village lake in the next few days as an adult Iceland Gull was found in the roost at Foremark Resv this afternoon.
Also late news yesterday a Juvenile Glaucous Gull was reported from Draycote Water (any news John?) so it maybe worth keeping your eyes on Shawell GPs in the next day or so Neil?
Cheers,
Dave.

Looking at the pager this evening my predictions came right as an adult Iceland Gull and 2nd winter Glaucous Gull was reported from Albert Village Lake this afternoon!:eek!:
Cheers,
Dave.
http://davidearlgray.blogspot.com/

Went to the tip yesterday to scan for white wingers ... no joy, but a couple of Y-L G's. I met the falconer, Carl who was flying a rather impressive 1st yr Peregrine/saker cross. Thankfully the raptors hardly ever kill gulls but go for corvids as they are easier to catch apparently (probably the blizzard of gulls is too much for them). I think this is true as I've never seen a gull go down but have seen his birds going for corvids, and the pereg/saker took one when I was there yesterday.

He thinks there are more gulls this week than he's ever seen, and he should know as he makes at least daily visits. There must be something good brewing bearing in mind what Albert Lake has had this week. The other thing I found out is that the tip has a 9 year life so a screen or hide at the pool will be a great long term investment John.

I then went to the A5 pools where Steve had been for a while. He'd had the ad Caspian again on the shore and 2 different ad type Y-L G's. Steve has also been reading colour rings. One interesting thing I meant to mention last week is that we have already had a bird from Gloucs which had been ringed the previous week. It's a reminder of how mobile some gulls are and that there is a constant turnover of individuals. Spot the Y-L...

Attachments

• yeltip.jpg
    yeltip.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 89
I then went to the A5 pools where Steve had been for a while. He'd had the ad Caspian again on the shore and 2 different ad type Y-L G's. Steve has also been reading colour rings. One interesting thing I meant to mention last week is that we have already had a bird from Gloucs which had been ringed the previous week. It's a reminder of how mobile some gulls are and that there is a constant turnover of individuals. Spot the Y-L...[/QUOTE]

Is it the one in the middle standing on the pipe?!:t:
Happy New Year!
Dave.
http://davidearlgray.blogspot.com/

[/QUOTE]Is it the one in the middle standing on the pipe?!:t:
Happy New Year!
Dave.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Dave. If only everything perched up for us.

You're up early after sampling that Celtic hospitality ;) Hope you find something good at Caerlaverock?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back